Looks pretty good, doesn’t it? Almost 100 PETA supporters took part in an eye-catching photo opportunity at Marble Arch in London today to demand that the government not adopt lower standards of protection for animals in laboratories when it incorporates the EU’s new directive regulating animal experiments later this year. If the government adopts the directive without changes, all animals will be affected. But dogs and cats in particular would become far more likely to be used in experiments because they would lose the special protections that Britain has given them for … Read more.
Posts Tagged ‘cats’
Animals find new ways to astonish us every day. Wouldn’t it be great if we returned the favour by astonishing them with our compassion?
- Scientists have discovered that “sheepish” really means “brainy”.
- Dolphins and researchers have learned to speak each other’s language. Can a Rosetta Stone course be far behind?
- Perhaps those dolphins can help us translate a Compassionate Action Award into dolphinese for this pup-friendly pod who rescued a dog.
- A courageous canine has proved that true friends are there when you need them most.
Today, PETA Germany launched a racy new ad featuring playboy Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and the slogan “Too Much Sex Can Be a Bad Thing … for Dogs and Cats Too. There Are So Many Homeless Animals – Please Spay or Neuter Your Animal Companion!” Other celebrities who have appeared in “Too Much Sex” ads for PETA and its affiliates include adult film stars Sasha Grey, Jenna Jameson and Ron Jeremy as well as golfer Tiger Woods, although, in his case, as with Mr Berlusconi, involuntarily.
“Il Cavaliere… Read more.
For your Wednesday enjoyment, here are some of the sweetest and most amazing animals we could find.
- These brainy crows owe their intelligence to a legacy of nurturing parenting. Are crow nannies in our future, perhaps?
- Like humans, chimpanzees and penguins grieve the loss of a child or family member.
- Prairie dogs have a language so advanced that they can describe humans down to the colors of their clothes. Gok’s Fashion Fix: Prairie Dog Edition.
- This cat prefers strawberries to mice. Has she been reading PETA’s website?
With subzero temperatures set to continue, people have been reaching for the antifreeze to prevent the water in their car radiators from turning into ice. But antifreeze can be deadly to animals.
Most brands of antifreeze have a sweet taste, which can be tempting to animals and even children. The main ingredient in most antifreeze brands is ethylene glycol. Animals who ingest this chemical will promptly begin to suffer from vomiting, convulsions and kidney failure. If animals don’t receive immediate veterinary care, they face a painful, … Read more.
One look at his smiling face emblazoned on the side of the PETA US “Spay and Neuter Immediately, Please!” (SNIP) mobile veterinary clinic, and there’s little doubt that X Factor and American Idol creator Simon Cowell is a true friend to animals. That’s why PETA US is marking Cowell’s 51st birthday (October 7) by spaying and neutering 51 cats and dogs – free of charge – to help staunch America’s homeless animal crisis.
What better way to honour Simon on his birthday than to offer 51 free desexing surgeries – … Read more.
One of the great things about working for PETA is being able to bring about swift progress for animals, often through co-ordinated efforts with PETA’s international affiliates. A superb example of this arose very recently when PETA and our affiliates obtained photographs of dogs at an American airport being flown on a German plane to face experiments in a laboratory right here in the UK. More than 50 beagles are shown in the photographs, and the freight labels (because they are just “freight” to the airline) identify them as heading for Charles … Read more.