Phone Air France to Protest Against Shipping Monkeys to Labs
  • Jul

Phone Air France to Protest Against Shipping Monkeys to Labs

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who took part and called Air France’s office. Its staff received hundreds of calls from compassionate people all over the UK – sending the message loud and clear that Air France needs to end its cruel cargo.

Watch this space for more campaign updates!

*****

Only one major airline still ships monkeys to laboratories to be used in experiments – Air France.AirFrance-1 copy

Despite hearing from thousands of disappointed customers and seeing other airlines drop the cruel practice one by one, Air France continues its complicity in the unethical animal testing industry. The company even received a letter from renowned primate expert Dr Jane Goodall, but it still refused to take action. Now it’s time to up the ante.

Please join our day of action by making a quick phone call to Air France’s UK office today:

• Call Air France’s UK office on 0871 66 33 777. Select option 1, then option 5, then option 4 to speak to a customer-care assistant.
  • Politely tell the employee that you want Air France to join China Southern Airlines, Air China, China Eastern Airlines, United Airlines and dozens of other companies in the cargo and passenger plane industry by refusing to fly monkeys to laboratories.
  • Let us know how the conversation went by leaving a comment below.

Thank you for using your voice to defend these animals!

Comments

1. avatar Heather Pyne says:

I just called Air France – nice lady said she would pass my message on. I asked her how she would do this – she didn’t have my name and how would I get a reply? She fumbled a bit and said her supervisor would listen to the recorded telephone conversation – really?? She then said if I wanted the message forwarded to log a message on their website site http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/local/transverse/footer/suggestion.htm either under suggestions or claims. So will do.

• avatar Emma says:

Heather, a bit worrying, when I posted my reply to this page-it showed me your hotmail address and name in the data entry windows!

PETA, you need to sort this glitch out!!

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Emma, thank you for letting us know about this, we’re looking into why that could have happened.

2. avatar Matt says:

Just spoke to a man who politely told me that everyone who calls today will be noted and information passed on to HQ. He said that he expects the company’s policy will change shortly. Let’s hope so!

3. avatar Stacey appleby says:

I was told my message would be passed on to their management team. Hope everyone’s efforts work!

4. The poor lass answering the phone said that she had personally received a lot of calls about this today. She said she will pass on the message. Gave my name & phone number and said that I object to the behaviour of Air France and that I, like many others, would not feel comfortable flying with Air France whilst they continue to ship monkeys to laboratories. I stressed that myself, like many others, will not use Air France again whilst this continues.

Let’s hope they get the message. It seems like a lot of people had rang up about this

5. avatar R Marchant says:

I called earlier today and spoke to Melissa at Air France, who was very polite. She took my name and email address, found my Flying Blue profile and confirmed it. At the start of the call, I explained to Melissa why I was calling. Once she had taken all my details, she listened again to my concerns, politely made, and she said they had been noted.

I don’t think you can ask more of an employee. It is just her job to do her best for customer via telephone, she is not a policy maker.

At the start of the call, you are already advised that the call will be recorded for training purposes. Therefore, even if your details were not taken, Air France have a record of all the concerns voiced.

At least we have made our voices heard :-)

6. avatar Bumper says:

Use the free number (untested, from saynoto0870): 020 8782 8117

0871 numbers make for Air France and we don’t want to support them in any way.

7. avatar Janet Walter says:

Just spoke to a young lady at Air France and told her I would not be flying Air France as long as they continued to transport monkeys to laboratories where they will be experimented on. I told her I strongly object to this and asked her to record my comments. She was very polite and said she would pass on my comments.

8. avatar Margaret Crennell says:

Just spoke to an assistant at Air France who seemed very sympathetic to the plight of primates flown for the purpose of laboratory testing. She was also hoping that people’s concern at such suffering will lead to changes in the very near future. Let’s hope so!

9. avatar Hazel says:

Customer service rep was very polite and said that comments would be passed on. She gave me an address to write to and said that’s the only way they will respond to this issue.
    I was polite to her and said I felt sorry for her for working for a company where the call centre supervisors will not speak to anyone on the phone and leave her to deal with queries that she can’t possibly know all the answers to.
    I managed to get in a few points about torturing animals, only airline still to do this etc as I suspect their employees don’t realise this.
    The other point I made was that my sister and I recently paid almost twice as much to fly with an alternative airline so they were losing customers. I made it clear that this is not something we can afford to do but that we and lots of other people feel strongly enough about this issue to avoid them, even when they are by far the cheapest and most convenient option.
    Well done everyone – looks like we’ve made our voices heard:)

10. avatar colette says:

Telephoned Air france today and was polite to customer service lady and let her
    know that it is wrong what is happening to monkeys been flown by air france to laboriteries and we want it stopped and she said she will inform head office of my call about this matter

Lets hope they stop now

11. avatar Mariachiara says:

Just called Air France. The poor employee sounded very tired on the phone- she must have received lots of these calls today as she also seemed immediately aware of what I was talking about. She quickly said she would pass the message on to management. Don’t know if she will for sure . I will be emailing too via the link above.

12. Instead of phoning and bending some poor employees ear I went on the face book of Air France and put down what I, and so many other good people feel about their flying Monkeys to laboratories for experiments.
    I feel this may be more effective as many of passengers who fly with them comment and will read about their heartless greed

13. avatar clare anderson says:

I called airfrance to ask them to stop transporting animals. A nice gentleman took my name and location and said he would pass on my concerns. I have a frequent flyer card with them and said I wouldn’t fly with them again until they stopped the transport of animals for experiments.

14. avatar jennie says:

Hi, just called up and politely voiced my concerns. The customer assistant was polite and said my details would be passed on. Will they? Will Air France care? I think the profit gained from flying thses poor animals is worth more to them than what they will lose by a few of us boycotting the airline, unfortunately. I hope I’m wrong about that though, obviously.

15. avatar jennifer guy says:

i’ve just spoken to Audrey at Air France,I gave my name and asked if she would like my phone number,but she said my name was enough,and that her supervisor would listen to the calls.I basically repeated the suggestions of Kirsty’s,and vowed never to use Air France again,while they continued to transport any animal for laboratory testing.
    Audrey was nice,and I hope she and all who work for Air France,tell their bosses that they do not want to work for a company that condones and makes money from unbelievable animal suffering.

16. avatar Jo Statham says:

I have just spoken to an assistant at Air French who seemed very sympathetic. She said she will pass on my comments. She also took my name and address, which I’m quite happy about. I’m proud to be taking part in PETA’s Day of Action for the monkeys!

17. avatar Erin says:

I called their US number (800-992-3932) and was asked to file a complaint online. I found this website:

Here was what I wrote:

Hello,

I am concerned that Air France is still flying monkeys to laboratories for vivisection. This is awful to hear. I want Air France to join China Southern Airlines, Air China, China Eastern Airlines, United Airlines and dozens of other companies in the cargo and passenger plane industry by refusing to fly monkeys to laboratories. Until Air France refuses to fly monkeys to laboratories, I will not be flying Air France.

18. avatar ronald crennell says:

Very sophisticated Air France site lulls you into feeling all is well in the world!
    Spoke to a charming man who is obviously getting a lot of calls on this issue. Said he would add my name to the list and it will be passed on to the person dealing with the monkey transportation business. Said I was staggered to learn of their exploitation of sentient creatures. As a frequent visitor to la belle France I told him this economic business is a blot on their country’s name and reputation. He was not drawn. But the list seems to be growing.

19. avatar Margarita Hannan says:

I spoke to a gentleman at Air France who had clearly fielded a number of calls today. He was very polite and said that he wasn’t able to comment but would ensure that my concerns were recorded. I said that I would boycott the airline and would ensure that my friends and colleagues were made aware of Air France policy. My husband also rang separately and said that if other airlines which generally represent countries who are known to have poor standards of animal welfare also saw it fit to refuse to fly monkeys then what was that saying about France. Interestingly their sister airline Delta do not fly primates.

Great move forward PETA !

20. avatar Maggie Cranfield says:

stop this, its cruel and there is no need…

21. avatar Sabrina and Tony Mott says:

We have just contacted Air France to register our protest about their continued transportation of live primates.
    The customer service representative was very polite and has added our names to the list of people who have called today; we have been assured that this list will be forwarded to the department that deals with the freight and transportation of live primates.
    Let’s hope that this action results in Air France finally taking notice.

22. avatar Emma says:

The man I spoke to said he would pass on my comments, but did not offer to take my name. I pointed this out, and he suggested that I also hit their website and forward my comments as a suggestion under their ‘contact us’ section, which I have done.

23. avatar Tracy says:

I called Air France. The lady I spoke to was aware of the action day and said that details of the number of calls were all being passed on to management.

24. avatar Bobby Balfour says:

rang air france to request they join the other forward-thinking airlines and stop flying monkeys to laboratories. Chap said he would pass on the message to the department that deals with it and asked my name which I gave. He said they had had lots of calls about it today and mine would be added.

25. avatar Terri says:

I was unable to phone but I did email. Not holding out much hope for a reply though.

26. avatar Ben Creasey says:

I rang Air France today at 5:45 and got straight through to customer care and politely asked the representative if they would please stop transporting primates to laboratories. I pointed out that other airlines had already stopped and that Air France was damaging its reputation by continuing to transport primates. I also made it clear that there are alternative methods for laboratory testing that didn’t involve cruelty to animals. I told them that my wife is French and we travel frequently to France and until they stop transporting primates we will never travel with Air France. The representative I spoke with was very polite but didn’t have an opinion on the matter. I was told my concerns would be passed onto the relevant team. I asked if they could please email me a response which they did.

27. avatar Aishah Saleem says:

No monkey should be used for testing!!! They are primates who live in family units. They have feelings just like humans. So cruel

28. avatar Jo Humphreys says:

Hello
    Rang this morning to request they stop the trafficking of monkeys from Mauritius to Europe and elsewhere. Lady said they had had some calls re this and were feeding back to head office.
    I think we should do this more often! The call centre staff probably don’t even know that the company do this.
    Let me know when the next one is….maybe we can do it once a month?

29. avatar Edward Brannigan says:

I rang air France at 10-02 am and was put through to customer care and the woman said that Air France have had a number of calls on this subject and could not make any comment, however she would inform her people that i had phoned them regarding this subject.

30. avatar clare dyas says:

Woman said that she would pass the message on.

31. avatar Elizabeth Owens says:

I just telephoned Air France, spoke to a vey polite man, who told me he would pass on my comments and questions, and that someone would get back to me?
    He also told me he was aware of the email sent out by PETA., and they had not received many calls yet.
    I really hope that a lot of people will call, although it was a little daunting!

32. avatar Sturm Carolinna says:

Dear Mr Sturm

We have received your recent communication in which you bring to our attention your concerns regarding the transportation of laboratory animals and the ethical standards you expect from our company. We understand your point of view and have read this with interest. Likewise, we read with interest the messages of support we regularly receive from associations and research organisations that defend a position opposed to yours and who wish to demonstrate that animal testing is essential to ensure advances in medical science. As an airline, Air France is not best qualified to rule on the merits of the use of animals in biomedical research. Air France Cargo ensures that all biomedical research carried out by the companies for whom it works and involving the use of animals is fully compliant with current national, European and international legislation. The same is true for the rules developed by scientific organisations specialised in the field of animal welfare, such as the Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR), the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW) and the Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA). Finally, concerning the transportation of any animal, Air France stringently respects and complies with the standards sent by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the European Union, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). We thank you for allowing us this opportunity to provide some explanation of our policy concerning the transportation of animals. We assure you of our best intentions at all times.
    Yours sincerely

Air France Web Support

33. Took Heather Pyne’s advice and contacted them by e-mail and short time ago – still waiting for acknowledgement. If it it doesn’t arrive will keep contacting them both email and ‘phone. Hope it is effective. never give in!!

34. avatar rebecca de winter says:

I called Air France and a gentleman took my name, saying he would pass on my message regarding primate transportation, to an internal department which he could not disclose to me. He mentioned he had had a lot of similar calls.
    I am sorry I could not give you more.

35. avatar joan biggs says:

It is inhuman to send these poor animals to be experimented on you should be ashamed of yourself. How would you like it.

36. avatar Marie Winship says:

I called Air France today (unable to yesterday) I was told that my message was recorded and it would be passed on. I’m not sure anything will happen!!

37. avatar Julia Finzel says:

I spoke to a lady who was patient and polite and told me that my message would be passed on. I mentioned that I had made many studies of monkeys for prints and that they were too similar to us to be treated so badly. I hope this joint effort will put an end to this cruelty.

38. avatar Jenna Lapworth says:

This was my email response….

We assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Yours sincerely

Customer Care Europe

39. avatar Julie keaton says:

Just phoned Air France and was told my message would be passed to appropriate person. I said I will never fly air france and would encourage everyone to boycott it until they stop this cruel practice.

40. avatar Barbara says:

Phoned Air France today. Nice man answered stating they had had numerous calls on this subject. He said all calls were being reported to their manager and to visit their website for more information. Also action will be taken but the office has not been informed as yet and would probably be 2/3 days before they are. I was advised to write personally to Air France but all comments would be forwarded.

41. avatar David says:

Just spoke to a man who politely told me that everyone who calls today will be recorded and information passed on to HQ with the number of complaints about it. He said that he expects the company’s policy will change shortly. Let’s hope so!