Everton Goalkeeper Tim Howard Defends Animals Wanted for Fur - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • May

Everton Goalkeeper Tim Howard Defends Animals Wanted for Fur

Everton and Team USA goalkeeper Tim Howard is no stranger to serious pain, having played with a dislocated finger and two broken bones in his back. However, he knows that is nothing compared to the pain that animals go through in the fur industry. The goalkeeper has teamed up with PETA for our “Ink, Not Mink” campaign, which focuses on the cruelty of the fur trade. The striking ad was shot by celebrity photographer Trevor Leighton.

Tim Howard_UK_InkNotMink_A4_FIN300

Minks spend their entire lives confined to tiny, filthy wire cages, where they are denied the opportunity to engage in natural behaviour, such as burrowing and swimming, and experience horrific deaths. Tim wants everyone to know that for every coat, collar or cuff made of fur, animals suffer immensely – and that stylish, fur-free designs are widely available from high-profile designers.

Tim explained why he wanted to take part in the campaign:

“Protecting animals is very important to me, and I think speaking out against fur is an amazing cause. When I see someone wearing fur, I just want to sit them down in front of one of PETA’s videos and show them just how badly animals suffer for this supposed fabric that no one needs.”

If you haven’t already, please join Tim and become a champion for fur-bearing animals by pledging never to wear their skins.

Pledge to be Fur-Free

Comments

1. avatar Simon Phillips. says:

I’ve got the Ink, and I’m DAMN Proud I’ll Never do the Mink !!

• avatar Mark says:

My tattooist uses vegan ink so I suggest you do some research before spouting off rubbish.

You’re welcome.

2. avatar Emily McDonald says:

Love the video, Thank you Tim Howard!

3. avatar James Hanson says:

I’m a big everton fan so love Tim Howard but love him even more now.

4. avatar Deborah says:

It’s excellent that Tim and other people in the limelight speak out for this cause. If only the dumb people that are taken with wearing fur had such high morals. I think they should put the videos on the news so people could then make an educated choice rather than just buying without any remorse.

• avatar stacey says:

I totally agree if it was made public knowledge these animals might have a chance. and wouldnt that be lovely one day hopefully…oneday

5. avatar Julie T says:

Mark: is the black ink vegan? I have read it is nearly impossible to get that color in vegan as they use charred bones to make it. Let me know if there is a brand that has figured it out.

6. Well done Tim for speaking out against the evil and vile fur trade.

NUFF RESPECT TO YOU (Even though I am a “Gooner”) lol

7. avatar Dave says:

Rather than getting poseur footballers to take there top off for you and exploiting women (who are also animals like us) with the “sexiest vegans” guff that belongs in The Sun, why don’t you do something about this disgusting situation;

Good luck

8. […] athletes who pull no punches when it comes to opposing this vile industry, including footballer Tim Howard, rugby player Danny Cipriani and martial artist Jimi […]

9. avatar Heather says:

Don’t want to rain on the parade, but PETA, do you REALLY think this guy adds any credibility to your campaign? Most people would think he is just a joke! and kind of confirms to many people that PETA have lost the plot

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Heather, PETA has always worked with celebrities to help raise awareness of our campaigns. Tim has many fans, both in the UK and the US, and his ad allowed us to reach many new people with the anti-fur message.

10. I was really disappointed to find out that he eats animals.

11. […] is very important to me, and I think speaking out against fur is an amazing cause,” Howard told PETA. “When I see someone wearing fur, I just want to sit them down in front of one of PETA’s videos […]

12. avatar Carolyn tisdale says:

Thank u Tim for supporting this very worthy cause. Would it be possible for you to persuade your fellow footballers to boycotte Harvey Nichols stores that have one turned the clock back on progress and continue to sell fur despite the outcry?

Whilst they obviously have no ethical values perhaps losing celebrity customers may make them reconsider?