Become an Avenging Angel for Angora Bunnies With 4 Simple Steps
  • Mar

Become an Avenging Angel for Angora Bunnies With 4 Simple Steps

Since video footage from PETA Asia’s investigation into Chinese angora farms became breaking news last November, the campaign against angora has come on by leaps and bounds.

More than 30 retailers have promised to stop selling items made with angora, which usually comes from China, where rabbits are farmed in tiny cages and often scream in agony as the fur is ripped from their bodies.

PETA Asia’s investigation showed the world what was happening on angora farms. But it was compassionate consumers who made sure that companies took notice and changed their policies. After hearing from customers in stores, on the phone, by letter and online – and speaking to PETA – retailers from ASOS to John Lewis took swift action to remove angora products from their collections.

Cruelty to angora rabbits on Chinese farms

Every time a company stops selling angora products, the supply for the wool decreases, meaning that fewer rabbits will be made to suffer the appalling scenes of cruelty seen in the video. But these animals still need your help.

If you see angora on sale anywhere, please speak out in the following ways:

• Politely ask to have a word with the store’s manager, and explain how disappointed you are to see angora on sale. You might want to mention PETA Asia’s video.
      • Leave a comment on the company’s Facebook page, or send a tweet, asking the company to stop selling angora.
      • Send an e-mail or write a letter to the company. Below is some suggested text that you can use as a template.
      • If you get a response (especially if it’s a positive one), please let us know! Send an e-mail to Info@peta.org.uk.

To Whom It May Concern:

[Note: If you are able to find out the name of the retailer's director, CEO or manager, please use that person's name.]

I’m writing to you concerning PETA Asia’s harrowing investigation into angora farming in China – where 90 per cent of the world’s angora wool comes from. The video footage shows how rabbits scream out in pain as workers violently rip the fur from their skin. Rabbits who have their fur cut or sheared also suffer terribly. Their front and back paws are tightly tethered, which is a terrifying experience for these prey animal, and the sharp cutting tools inevitably wound them as they struggle in a desperate bid to escape.

Rabbits – who are extremely clean by nature – are forced to spend their entire lives in tiny, filthy cages, surrounded by their own waste, with little protection from the elements. The thin wire cages constantly cut into their sensitive footpads, and they never have the chance to run around, jump or play. After they endure this process every three months for two to five years, their throats are cut and their skin is ripped from their bodies. Please take a few moments to watch the video footage here.

I hope you agree that with all the wonderful animal-free fabrics that are now available, no rabbit need ever suffer for the sake of a jumper, gloves or a scarf. Please, will you assure me that [name of company] will join the many compassionate designers and retailers that have already turned their backs on the cruel angora wool industry and pledge never to use it in your future clothing and accessories collections?

I look forward to hearing from you about this important matter.

Kind regards,

[Your Name]

[Address details if you wish to include them]

That’s it! It really is that easy to become an angel for angora rabbits. So what are you waiting for?

Comments

1. avatar Marc Trip says:

I’m speechless to see that people are doing this to harmless animals.

2. avatar Mrs P Bird says:

This is a cruel and painful act,we do not need this wool due to synthetic substitutes why not invest in this instead of causing so much suffering to the beautiful Rabbits!!

3. avatar Nic Sutton says:

Stop this barbary! Immediately!

4. avatar lisa smitherman says:

I feel sick and want to cry for these poor defenceless creatures..it is despicable and barbaric! I would do these torturers what they are doing to these beautiful rabbits… it must be stopped!! PLEASE!

5. avatar WIJERATHNE G.D.H.S. says:

please_stop_this.

6. avatar Anna Wolany says:

Please people, wake up! Stop letting to do this terrible thing!

7. avatar linda says:

STOP AMEN x

8. avatar Maria Tritsari says:

These people should be ashamed that hurt these innocent animals. Someone must do something and stop this torture!!

9. avatar della says:

This is disguisting these poor rabbits goin through thst pain only to have to grow there fur back to have it done again pls stop this

10. this is pure evil how can you do this its the money side which is the only interest you have in these poor animals the same should be done to you

11. avatar JAY B says:

FFS YOU ARE DISGUSTING THE WORLD!!!!!

12. avatar Dawn Hollis says:

Thus is the most cruel torture I have ever seen. This must stop NOW

13. avatar kathleen hetherington says:

i am disgusted at the way these poor animals are used for their fur. it looks better on the rabbit than it ever will on a human. dont support the wearing of fur. can you imagine how much pain they go through for their coat. they are literally skinned alive. it must stop. dont support any shops who sell angora. let them know you wont support them.

14. avatar Rabia Mahnaz says:

Thank you PETA for spreading awareness. It was unbearable to watch that video. My heart bleeds for them. I hope we are successful in preventing further agony to these gentle defenseless creatures. I truly appreciate and believe that the initiative you have taken will yield the best results soon. Very soon.

15. avatar cheryl connor says:

what the matter with the people in this world, how can they hurt an animal, hear its screams, and just carry on ripping its fur out!

16. avatar Dawn york says:

So sad that humans could cause so much pain to a helpless beautiful animal

17. avatar ann robinson says:

i would never by the fur! and i will make sure others dont.

18. avatar Amanda Morland says:

This is absolutely disgusting and unbelievably heartbreaking :(

19. avatar Karen Haddon says:

i would like this to be stopped as rqbbits have feelings like us and is very cruel to have this done to them the more people that dont buy angora the less it will be in the shops and rabbits wont suffer any more

20. avatar Maria Ramirez says:

Det ser ut som ett outhärdligt lidande, både bortslitandet av pälsen och livet i buren med galler till golv.

21. avatar p says:

i really hope the world’s outrage is enough to ban this totally un-necessary practice. I hope all these angora rabbit farms … go out of business and are banned from doing this ever again. It amazes me that when ever Chinese people go near animals, they are the worst savages on earth, they skin animals alive and cook them alive . They seem to enjoy causing as much trauma and pain on animal that most of us can not even imagine. I wish as a country they would evolve and find some humanity and learn compassion and civilisation , only then they will be truly accepted as earning the right to be treated with respect.

22. avatar Aaron says:

You’ve not put where to send the email to

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Aaron, we’re not targeting a single shop – we’re calling on all shops that sell angora to stop! So if you see angora on sale anywhere, please send an email to that company’s customer department :)

23. avatar eli says:

stop it.

24. avatar Vicki Wheeler says:

It breaks my heart to see all this abuse towards thes poor helpless pets. Put a stop to ti now. Please.

25. avatar Nyree Clark says:

I’m so saddened by seeing this. It brings tears to my eyes to see a rabbit in so much pain and red raw just to produce a so called lovely warm jumper. I just hope and pray that all the shops stop selling Angora and the farms go out of business! All you famous people do the same it’s not fashion to wear a rabbit on your back if anything support PETA and STOP wearing Fur! It’s not cool!

26. avatar Phoebe says:

We r civilized human, we dont nd evil world, the persons who do this evil thing wl hv curse n retribution

27. avatar Lisa Lawrence says:

This is barbaric and must b stopped

28. avatar Adam Fransella says:

STOP THIS BRUTALITY!! There is a pain free way to make an angora sweater, without rabbits having to suffer!

29. Stop this barbaric using

30. avatar Julia says:

Have Topshop been confronted about why they still have angora in their current season collection yet? To be honest it undermines the good work that Peta do if you are seen to accept a brand’s promise if it is then seen to be a false one.

31. avatar jessica says:

HAY MUCHAS ALTERNATIVAS PARA NO USAR PIELES , NI CUERO . ES MEJOR TRATAR A LOS SERES QUE DIOS CREO CON MUCHO RESPETO Y NO OLVIDAR QUE ELLOS SIENTEN AL IGUAL QUE LOS SERES HUMANOS, LO UNICO ES QUE LOS ANIMALES TIENEN MAS HERMOSOS SENTIMIENTOS QUE LAS PERSONAS , LO QUE HACEN LAS PERSONAS ES DAÑAR EL PLANETA, CON TANTA MALDAD.

32. avatar Catherine Tovey says:

This needs to end now!!! Such unnecessary horrific treatment! We don’t need angora in our clothes?? These poor innocent rabbits should suffer no more!!

33. avatar Emma says:

sadly, this is just one of the many savage, barbaric tortures inflicted on animals by monstrous humans. an intelligent species indeed… it is good to see that so many people have opened their eyes and finally realized that this is wrong and completely unnecessary! Thank you, PETA, for doing this!
    it is NOT okay to wear animal body parts as accessories. it is not okay to consume their flesh and body waste as if it was food. it is not okay to make them suffer animal testing for drugs and cosmetics. I believe someday all humans will realize this, and this nightmare will become history, like slavery or the holocaust

34. avatar jackie carruthers says:

so so cruel

35. avatar Jean Gailer says:

It is really disgusting on gentle little animals it must STOP

36. avatar gill turner says:

this is so distressing it must be stopped.

37. avatar K Herbert says:

Please stop this cruelty to these defenceless animals. It is cruel and barbaric. I can’t believe in this day and age that human beings can inflict this pain and torture on an animal that can’t defend itself. The pain these rabbits are going through must be horrific.

38. avatar Stacey atkinson says:

This is absolutely shocking and sick and needs to be stopped!

39. avatar Deepthi Ajay says:

This is cruel. No one looks good wearing such cruel stuff on them. What a torture in the name of fashion.

40. avatar Chris says:

(sorry for my English) so I saw this video two weeks ago. Since I have a chock , impossible to forget.. I was crying like a baby.. And each time I remember this video, the scream of the rabbit… I cry. I have a so big pain in my heart,in my body, and on my mind. I think about that every days..And especially when Im looking my small dog.. It’s horrible, i don’t have words to explain this horror, this CRIME. Please please, stop buying angora. Stop buying clothes from China. I don’t know how to stop this horrible CRIME. I feel so small because inside me, I feel that nobody can’t do anything because in China there are millions people…and it’s authorized..it’s a big business. A Shame business. The shame, the horror.I have a so big anger inside me. I know that I will never buy angora in my life, even angora from another country because today we can’t control anything. Please we MUST boycott . Love

41. avatar Julie geis says:

This is barbaric and not exceptible cruelty to any animals is not in anyway a part of society in 2014 please STOP this now

42. This awful practice has to be stopped., there is no reason to put these rabbits or any animal through terrible torture for the sake of humans to wear fashion

43. avatar Bernadette mooney says:

Brutality towards animals

44. avatar Teresa G says:

No only should people be outraged, they should stop buying anything that has angora on the label. No market, no suffering. Don’t just be upset, take some action.

45. avatar nelam rall says:

Please help in stopping this act of evil

46. avatar Lisa-marie says:

I am into knitting and crochet and always check label to make sure it has none in it will NOT buy it thankyou peta for your good work

47. avatar Suzanne Armstrong says:

Stop this disgusting behaviour now!!!!!

48. avatar Teresa Hughes says:

This so evil, cruel and barbaric, i can’t even imagine the suffering they go through. I will never ever buy angora garments etc, and will tell everyone not to as well.

49. avatar john says:

Its not the animals you need to stop! Its the money they get. They wouldnt do it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!