Recipe: Tarte Aux Fruits Frais
Cold desserts really come into their own during the summer months, and nobody does patisserie quite like the French. They really go for the WOW factor. This pretty tart is just begging to be laid out and admired on your vegan table. It’s a sure-fire way to impress your dinner guests (whether they’re vegan or not).
Tarte Aux Fruits Frais
250 g plain flour
110 g icing sugar
110 g vegan margarine or soy butter
A few spoonfuls water
225 g plain vegan cream cheese (try Tofutti brand)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar
1–2 apples, sliced
1 kiwi fruit
150 g blueberries
Any other seasonal fruits of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and icing sugar into the vegan margarine. Use your hands to combine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add small amounts of water until a dough is formed.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, then press into a 9-inch flan tin or dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before adding the filling.
- In a medium bowl, mix the vegan cream cheese, vanilla and caster sugar together until light and smooth. Pour over the pastry, then top with the fruit.
- Chill for 20 minutes before serving in order to firm up the filling.
Makes 8 servings
Et voilà! Now you have a statement vegan dessert that is sure to impress this summer. For more mouthwatering vegan recipes (including desserts), you can request our free vegan starter kit.