Recipe: Sizzling Spanish Paella – Vegan Style!
Nothing screams HOLIDAY like a big dish of freshly made paella. Here’s our delicious vegan take on this iconic dish.
Sizzling Spanish Paella
Adapted from BBC Food
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3–4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tin braised tofu (optional)
1 aubergine, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric
400 g long grain rice
2 cubes vegetable stock
800 ml hot water
4 small ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 large bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tofu, aubergine, courgette and turmeric and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the rice until coated in the oil.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock in the hot water and pour over the rice.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, chopped parsley and lemon juice and transfer to your preferred serving dish.
Makes 4 servings
The beauty of this paella is that you can add in whatever extras you’d like. You can stick with vegetables or you can mix in olives, vegan chorizo-style pieces, or your favourite faux meats (there are plenty of them out there, even vegan calamari!) For more tasty vegan recipes, pick up our vegan starter kit.