Recipe: Mediterranean Vegetable Pasta
Fresh summer flavours, combined with just enough spice to give a satisfying kick, make this wholesome pasta dish a reliable crowd-pleaser!
Mediterranean Vegetable Pasta
1 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 courgette, chopped into small triangles
4–6 mini chiquino peppers (assorted colours), chopped
1 pkg vegan hot dogs (try VBites brand) or 60 g chopped brown mushrooms, finely sliced
1–2 fresh chillies
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 500-g carton tomato passata
8–10 cherry tomatoes, chopped
500 g pasta (try penne or rigatoni)
1 dash agave nectar
1 dash extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat half the oil in a large pan on low heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the courgette and peppers and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables start to soften.
- In a separate pan, heat the rest of the oil and cook the vegan hot dogs according to the package directions. Remove from the heat and leave to one side once the pieces start to brown.
- Add the chillies and the dried chilli flakes to the vegetable mixture and continue gently frying, stirring regularly to prevent sticking. Add the oregano and garlic and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced hot dogs and passata and allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- In a separate pot, boil the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Add the agave nectar to the vegetables (this reduces the acidity of the tomatoes), followed by the extra-virgin olive oil. Stir and allow to simmer until everything is cooked thoroughly.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain, stir into the vegetable mixture and serve.
This recipe works well when served with a side salad made with fresh rocket and a splash of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and agave nectar. Delizioso!
For more vegan meal ideas from around the world, order our free vegan starter kit.