9 Vegan Foods That You Already Have in Your Kitchen
  • Jan

9 Vegan Foods That You Already Have in Your Kitchen

Going vegan is a great chance to become more creative in your cooking – as evidenced by all the mouth-watering entries to the Great Vegan Bake-Off, for example. But if you’re just starting out with a plant-based diet, it might come as a relief to realise that you’ve probably been eating vegan food all your life without even realising it!

The following are just a few much-loved staples that happily contain no animal products:

1. Beans on toast:

A meal that’s ready in minutes, contains not an ounce of cruelty and literally costs you pennies. It’s no wonder that thrifty students and hungry people in a hurry love to wolf this down.

CC Baked Beans

avlxyz / CC BY-SA 2.0

2. Chips:

We’re not claiming that deep-fried slivers of potato smothered in salt and vinegar and dunked in ketchup are healthy – but you can’t be virtuous all the time, right?
Stock chips

3. Hummus:

Who doesn’t love hummus? You can buy it everywhere, and it goes with pretty much anything – pita bread, salad, crisps, carrot batons, falafel or straight out of the tub. (Maybe that last one’s just me.) Thanks to the sesame seeds and chickpeas it contains, it also packs a powerful protein punch.

Hummus copy

4. Tomato soup:

Tinned (though steer clear of versions that contain cream) or home-cooked, this is a comforting classic. Here’s a really simple recipe for making your own.

Soup PETA

5. Porridge:

Apparently, nearly half of us Brits like to start the day with a bowl of steaming oats. Make it extra-wholesome by adding a splash of soya or almond milk, a banana and some dried fruit.

CC Porridge

mlinksva / CC BY 2.0

6. Biscuits:

Who’d have guessed that Hob Nobs, Oreos, pink wafers and Jammie Dodgers are “accidentally vegan”?! Many brands of ginger nuts, chocolate bourbons and digestives are, too – just double-check the packet to be sure before you buy.

3 packets

7. Fruit salad:

Desserts don’t come much easier (or healthier) than this! Choose and chop up your favourite fresh fruits, toss them in a bowl and you’re good to go.

Fruit salad coctail on a plate

8. Spaghetti:

Whip up a vegan bolognaise, stir in some vegan pesto or just grab a jar of marinara sauce and top it off with a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Extra brownie points if you can eat it without getting sauce on your chin.

CC Spaghetti

nawitus / CC BY 2.0

9. Crumpets:
Most store-bought crumpets are vegan, which means that you can enjoy a quintessentially English afternoon tea without guilt!

CC crumpets

ZapTheDingbat / CC BY 2.0

*****

See – vegan eating is easy! Share your favourite “accidentally vegan” offerings in the comments. And if you’re after more tips about a cruelty-free diet, get yourself one of our free vegan starter kits right now at PETA.org.uk/vsk.

Comments

1. avatar Jo says:

I’m pretty sure the European version of Oreo’s has Whey powder in them.

2. avatar Caroline Murphy says:

I eat most of these and found the hobnobs were vegan the other day, over the moon! Doesn’t tell you how to not scoff the whole packet though :(

3. avatar Emma O'B says:

A lot of the biscuits say “may contain milk” though, so we tend to steer clear of those. Shop own brand oath biscuits tend to be ok, I think Hob Nobs have a disclaimer on milk in the allergy advice…

4. avatar Sarah calderwood says:

I discovered this morning that my old fav biscuits ‘Lotus’ are labelled vegan, how happy am i?! :)

5. avatar shelley says:

Its great there are so many everyday food items that are actually vegan. I often wonder why companies dont label their food suitable for vegans (if they are) like they do for vegetarians. It would make life so much easier and shopping less time consuming if it was. Often i pick up a item and cannot see in anyway it containing animal ingredients but the label doesnt state it suitable for vegans so i never know whether it is suitable for vegans or contains some form of animal that isnt recognized by myself. Some companies/supermarkets do which is great. I find most big brand names use a lot of palm oil in their products so even though they contain no animal ingredients i will not eat them because of the palm oil. Alot of supermarkt own brand stuff uses alternatives to palm so i buy those instead or make my own.

6. avatar Brodie says:

heyyy there’s actually a debate whether Oreos are vegan or not… On the Oreo website it says they’re not as they have cross contact with milk… but they might just be trying to cover themselves… Also, Kraft (the makers of Oreos) does animal testing apartently !!!! All in all, I would stay clear of Oreos and other Kraft products :(

7. avatar Mike Levers says:

Please let us have more of these I can feel myself becoming vegan already !!!!
    Maybe I’ll live on baked beans !

• avatar P Eden says:

Please let me know more food I can eat if I go vegan after seeing the video I felt sick to my stomach people shouldn’t be allowed to do that to animals their should be laws and heavy fines.

8. avatar Mrs Elliott says:

i ve really enjoyed the vegan diet so far. . been alot easier than i thought and so healthy.snackimg on advacado and motzas and lots of bean dishes. . Blake bean dish tonight . . you just have to be organised with planning what youre gonna eat :)

9. avatar Rachel Duggan says:

Be careful not to buy biscuits with palm oil in though!
    “Vast areas of pristine rainforest is slashed and burned each year in order to make way for oil palm plantations. Many orangutans and other wildlife are killed in the process, so that this one vegetable oil can be used in many of our everyday foods and products. This large-scale deforestation is pushing orangutans to extinction, along with many other native species of Borneo and Sumatra.”

10. avatar Diane Lester says:

the ones i can think of are Marmite, peanut butter, and dumplings with vegi suet, i have a war time cake recipe that uses vinegar instead of egg it works very well. can send the recipe to anyone interested

11. avatar Olivia says:

Hob nobs have palm oil.

12. avatar Darren Wachler says:

I would like this too. I have been a VEGAN for many, many years!

13. I have been a Vegan for many, many years. I would still like emails for more.

14. avatar Vicky says:

I agree with Shelley, a lot of biscuits and baked goods contain Palm Oil, and that is definitely something to avoid

15. avatar Rebecca White says:

I was under the impression that most baked beans and tinned soups actually had casein and whey powder in them ? Also, as has been mentioned, a lot of these companies do animal test so ?
    Another thing I find, as a Lactose Intolerant/Dairy Allergic Vegan, a lot of things that say they are suitable and don’t contain any milk produce still must be made in that environment and do sometimes contain some source as they don’t half make me poorly ! I even had a Vegan Yoghurt given to me by a Vegan friend to try, from a well known Supermarket. She had been buying them and loved them, so wanted me to try them. They definitely contained some milk somewhere along the line !! I was very ill indeed. I just stick to Free From ranges now or home made. It’s easier and safer.

16. avatar Sara Maidens says:

Oreos say they may contain milk so i would not eat them myself as i am a vegan.

17. avatar jane says:

The rainforest.org website has a good list of ethical and palm oil free foods which include bread and bisciuts