11 Vegan Christmas Treats You Can Buy on the High Street - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Dec

11 Vegan Christmas Treats You Can Buy on the High Street

Iceland Mince PieSweet tooth? Never fear! This Christmas season, vegans can overindulge to their heart’s content, thanks to the wide variety of cruelty-free mince pies, puddings, chocolates and other delights available in supermarkets and high-street stores all over the UK! The following are some of our top picks.

Mince Pies

• Caffè Nero Luxury Mince Pies: Good news for the festive season – you can now walk into a coffee shop and grab a tasty mince pie to go with your soy latte, thanks to Caffè Nero’s animal-friendly offering this year.
  • Lidl Mince PiesLidl Snowy Lodge Mince Pies: Lidl’s pies were deemed some of the most delicious on offer in a recent blind taste test by Which? – beating the much pricier and decidedly less ethical pies from foie gras villains Fortnum & Mason!
  • Iceland Mince Pies: In addition to being free from milk and eggs, at £1.50 for 12, Iceland’s pies are some of the best value around, so you can tuck in without worrying about the impact on your wallet.

Puddings and Cakes

Christmas Chocolate

• Thornton’s Dark Chocolate Gingers: Filled with Chinese stem ginger, these chocolates will bring a touch of sophistication to the Christmas table and also make a great gift.
  • ASDA Dark Chocolate Mint Thins: In their familiar dark green box, these little peppermint-filled squares are kind of a classic. They’re also one of our favourite “accidentally vegan” products.
  • Divine Dark Chocolate Coins: These coins make ideal stocking fillers for the compassionate chocoholics in your life! As an added bonus, they’re fair trade as well. Divine products are available in Oxfam shops, many supermarkets and independent retailers.
  • Sainsbury’s Turkish Delight Rose and Lemon: As an alternative to chocolate, these delicately flavoured cubes are guaranteed to satisfy any sugar cravings. Enjoy!

Christmas is a wonderful time to show animals that you care by committing to a cruelty-free diet. For more tips and suggestions about easy-to-find vegan foods, order your free starter kit today:

Comments

1. avatar Jill C says:

The ASDA dark chocolate mint thins listed above are not vegan. The ASDA website states they are not suitable for milk allergy sufferers! So they must be produced along with milk products and contamination is possible.
    It’s a shame as at £1 they are a bargain from the lowest price of £6.99 that I can find for genuinely vegan mint thins.

• avatar Jenny Mc says:

Lots of items certified vegan, like divine chocolate bars, say they may contain traces of milk. Wasn’t this due to Green & Blacks chocolate saying it was vegan a few years back, then someone with a dairy allergy ate it and ended up very ill, leading to labelling being changed? Being vegan is about doing things as far as practicably possible, not living an impossible puritanical life- it isn’t possible to be 100% vegan with modern food production and modern lifestyles. Have you seen the articles on insects in food? The FDA have levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards for humans (i.e. insects, see http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/05/02/bugs-in-food_n_1467694.html). Horrible but unavoidable! You can only make a conscious effort to minimise your involvement and suffering caused to animals. It says on PETA’s website that if you make veganism look impossible and too difficult to achieve, people won’t bother. Their example was refusing to eat a vegan burger when out with friends because the bun may or may not have traces of dairy in it, or something like that. I have been strict vegan since 2005.

• avatar Dan says:

Well said Jenny!

Jill, most people’s goal of sticking to a vegan diet is to help animals and reduce suffering; this is done by choosing a bean burrito or a veggie burger over cow flesh, or choosing tofu scramble over eggs, not by refusing to eat an otherwise vegan food because it may possibly have the slight chance of been cross contaminated with an animal-derived product.

Doing so makes sticking to a vegan diet seem difficult and dogmatic to your friends, thus discouraging them from giving a vegan diet a try (which really hurts animals).

• avatar louise says:

I have been vegan 12 years & more than happy to eat ASDA mint thins, it is ridiculous not to eat things as they may have been produced in a factory that has dairy in OTHER products (unless you have a serious allergy) I am sure many people are put of a vegan lifestyle by this kind of militant attitude.

2. Hi

Several of these products contain palm oil. This is NOT VEGAN!! Eating unavoidable insects is one thing, but destroying habitats worldwide is not helping animals in any shape or form. And until the end of next year, palm oil does not have to be mentioned on the label. Vegetable oil can and often does mean palm oil, especially when used in baking. Why do lots of vegans ignore the destruction of our planet? Really sad at this list.

3. avatar Carly says:

I definitely agree with Jenny and Dan. I once bought vegan chocolate that had the stamp of approval from the Vegan Society and even that said it may contain traces of milk. This was due to the fact that the company shared factory space with a milk using company. I am fully committed to my lifestyle as a vegan but I accept that trace items may get into my food, particularly if I choose to eat in a non-vegan restaurant or shop in supermarkets that produce all different kinds of foods in one area. I have to enjoy my life whilst helping to save my animal friends and I like to promote my lifestyle as being an easy one!

4. avatar Alice says:

Oh my! The Cafe Nero mince pies are absolutely scrumptious. They are pricey though, which is a pity because the first thing I want to do when I finish one is get another.

I’m upset there’s no Lidl near me, would love to try their taste test winning ones.

Also I’m hoping Aldi’s black forest stollen is vegan, it does seem to be. I hope it is because A – I bought one and B – it was delicious! Very calorific though, and another one that is difficult to stop eating.

5. avatar jenny Mc says:

But where does it end Charlotte? Add soya to that, as its production has cleared rainforests and destroyed habitats so I can have it instead of cow juice on my cereal. What about the vegetables I eat that are grown possibly using bone meal? Or the mushrooms that grow on manure? Or the hedgerows that are destroyed and pesticides used so that I can have my vegetable stir-fries year round? What are you suggesting that I eat? You are making veganism hopelessly unobtainable. I should just give up being so hypocritical and stuff my face with a Big Mac, because that’s so much better for the animals!

• avatar Wowzers says:

Don’t forget that soy and vegan are mutually exclusive since soy is the plant world’s answer to dairy!

6. […] tricks that will help you prepare for the festive season. PETA have helpfully posted a list of Vegan Christmas Treats You Can Buy on the High Street, so if you're in need of some bits for your vegan Christmas, there's still time to shop. They've […]