The Top 5 Vegan-Friendly Prisons in the UK
Cruel and unusual punishments aren’t things which prisoners in this country have to endure. So we’re glad that compassionate meal options are being offered to prisoners so that animals aren’t necessarily being subjected to such punishments, either.
Like us, animals are made of flesh, blood and bone. They have the same five senses that we do, and they have the same capacity to experience suffering and fear. All animals share the desire to live their lives free of pain and to avoid a violent death. Feeding prisoners pasta instead of pork chops will help decrease violence in our society.
Vegetarian meals are also healthy, cost-efficient and easy to prepare. Most importantly, they promote non-violence, which is something beneficial to all prisons.
To that end, and to encourage others to follow suit, we’ve named the Top Five Vegan-Friendly Prisons in the UK:
- HMP Coldingley in Woking makes such favourites as homemade Cornish pasties, chickpea paella, vegan moussaka and bean-and-lentil patties. The prison even makes its own vegan mayonnaise.
- HMP Bronzefield in Ashford offers a choice of two vegan meals daily as well as a selection of healthy meat-free options in the canteen and the prison shop.
- HMP Isle of Wight serves its inmates African stew and homemade vegan mince.
- HMP Kennet in Liverpool has a vegan sausage casserole, shepherd’s pie and spaghetti Bolognese available as options.
- HMP Guys Marsh in Dorset offers baguette fillings to choose from, including tzatziki made with soya yoghurt, roasted peppers and onions and even bean pâté.
Each prison will receive a framed certificate and a letter of appreciation from PETA.
Please sign PETA’s 30-day vegan pledge, and help reduce the number of innocent animals who are being sentenced daily to misery and slaughter.