Hollywood Mum Emily Deschanel: Why I Ditched Dairy - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • May

Hollywood Mum Emily Deschanel: Why I Ditched Dairy

Actor, producer and mother Emily Deschanel makes no bones about her beliefs – as a committed vegan, she’s totally appalled by the cruelty of the dairy industry. She stars as forensic anthropologist Dr Temperance Brennan in hit US crime drama Bones, but in PETA’s brand-new video, it’s the horror of factory farming that she’s investigating.

Watch her behind-the-scenes exposé of how cows raised for milk are treated:

As a mum, Emily explains that she doesn’t want to participate in the suffering of other mothers. The idea of having your child stolen away from you, never to be seen again, is heartbreaking for any parent. Yet as the video reveals, this happens to mother cows every day, as their calves are snatched from their sides and sold into a life of misery – even though these sensitive animals have the same strong instincts to love and nurture their young as we do.

The milk that they produce to feed their babies is instead filched by humans. Cows on UK dairy farms are forced into a painful cycle of continuous pregnancy, hooked up to milking machines and drugged to produce many times more milk than they would naturally. Farmers also routinely subject cows to agonising procedures such as punching holes in their ears and burning off their sensitive horn tissue. After a few years of this harsh routine, the exhausted animals are sent to be slaughtered.

Emily has ditched dairy products because she wants nothing to do with this abusive industry. And by raising her son on a cruelty-free vegan diet, she knows that she’s giving him the best start in life, reducing his risk of allergies, helping him to avoid other harmful side effects of milk and teaching him empathy and compassion.

She’s also encouraging you to do the same. Going vegan is the best way to help cows, and with an astounding range of dairy-free vegan products available, the move away from cow’s milk has never been easier! Order our free vegan starter kit for more information.

Comments

1. avatar jeanie says:

The dairy industry has a lot to answer for. The abuse that these animals go through is not right. The over production of milk has lead to a glut . Calves are being wasted just to keep milk production up. Cows are abused in many ways. People need to open their eyes and see just what happens, just so they can HAVE A PINT OF MILK.!!How WOULD THEY FEEL IF THEIR CHILD WAS SNATCHED FROM THEM AT BIRTH? AND NEVER SEEN AGAIN. there WOULD BE A PUBLIC OUT CRY If it HAPPENED. Next time you eat a dairy product…Think about the cow that produced it. I choose to speak for those who have no voice!!

2. avatar 4mula1 says:

also, vegan by design!.. milk is for baby cows, get almond or soymilk.

• avatar Wowzers says:

Don’t forget that as the plant world’s answer to dairy, soy is about as far away from vegan as can be!

New peta slogan: Thanks to almond milk and rice milk, who needs soy or dairy!

3. I myself have been changing from eating meat also. Sickened how they kill and torture animals. I am going to do dairy free also. L did enjoy meat at one time, not now. It’s so inhumane how these workers treat these poor hepless creatures, this is not right.

4. avatar lori says:

I’m vegetarian, but as of today I’m vegan…..

5. [...] To find out more about why ditching dairy is the compassionate choice, please watch and share our new video exposé starring Hollywood star Emily Deschanel. [...]

6. [...] look at it, going vegan makes sense. For animals, for your health, for the environment, for your conscience and even for your [...]

7. [...] truth about the cruel origins of dairy products, they’d think twice about eating them. Maybe Emily Deschanel’s new dairy-industry exposé should be compulsory watching for all children – and for their parents, [...]

8. avatar Sarah says:

i am vegitarian but after watching this i am turning vegan, why could i have been so ignorant? It will be hearder for my kids who love cheese but i will change their diet a bit more gradually.

9. avatar Youdon'tneedtoknow says:

I’m looking at the other side on the coin ok if you do not wish to eat dairy that is up to you I like it and am not going to stop eating it you comment about the dairy industry cruel don’t destroy the industry change it .
    Also think of the this way IF everyone stopped eating dairy how many cows would die there are approx 65,000 dairy farms in the United States how many of them would keep they cows (NONE) secondly there are the jobs how many people are employed in the dairy industry they would all be out of work .

10. avatar Isabel says:

I am 12 years old and have been vegan for about 4-5 months now, I am not unhealthy at all and my allergies have stopped since I quit vegetarianism and became vegan. I feel so helpless when I watch these videos on cruelty. Now, I do research before buying or paying a charity, I know my food very well and am currently an animal product and wheat free vegan. I am the only person in my family who doesn’t eat meat and I had to fight with my parents to get them to say yes to veganism. It was tough, but now they see me eating the healthiest fruit, veg, beans, rice, that they love veganism and my meat-eating parents support it but say they can’t stop eating the animal products. When they say that, it makes me so mad!

11. avatar YouDoNeedToKnow says:

There are many jobs in growing and using almonds, beans, nuts and other things that make much healthier, longer lasting and better tasting drinks.
    I’ve been vegan for a few years, and I don’t miss milk and dairy. Your body adapts back to how it’s meant to be, very quickly. Human adults are not meant to drink the milk for other baby animals. It’s just easier to do what our nature is. Veg is good and every meal is top nutrition, top flavour. I’ve learnt so much more about tasty, healthy meals. No milk is better for your tummy, heart and blood.
    Many cultures have only recently consumed milk at all or increased it, but most human cultures traditionally don’t consume milk.
    Being healthy and learning compassion is great.
    There’s much more useful calcium, and other minerals in broccoli, in nuts and some beans, and not with the negatives.
    Even Duckula likes broccoli sandwiches :)

12. avatar TheBiochemist says:

Yeah right. Have lots of soy, lots of grains and starch! It is soooo good for you and the environment. I liked the comment that says about changing the industry. It is perfectly possible to have ethical farming. I think people should stop eating so much, so there won’t be place for unethical farming. The information in this video about cancer isn’t right. There is no evidence that milk causes cancer. Also saying that milk causes allergy is as stupid as saying that nuts causes allergies.

13. […] screams summer holiday like a scoop (or four!) of this delicious frozen dessert. Choosing to shun the cruelty of the dairy industry certainly doesn’t mean that you have to go without the good stuff, and – as more and more […]

14. avatar Alice HJ says:

Hi! I’m really stuck on this issue, as I really can’t afford to be vegan, as I get highly anaemic, and I have found a cruelty-free egg source, but where to get dairy? I have bought soya milk, but where can I get cruelty free cheese?! I am so stuck on this! Can anybody help me out on this?