Going Vegan? We’re Here to Help!
  • May

Going Vegan? We’re Here to Help!

PETA Go Vegan TEvery way you look at it, going vegan makes sense. For animals, for your health, for the environment, for your conscience and even for your wallet!

Our 30-day pledge is the ideal way to try going vegan for yourself. Pledgers receive regular advice and support to help with the transition to a plant-based diet, including a free vegan starter kit. After a month, most people feel great and never want to go back to consuming animal products!

Here at PETA, we’ve all been through the same journey and know that it can take a little while to adjust to a new way of eating, shopping and thinking about your food. This blog post is a place where you can share your experiences, swap tips and ask for advice.

Please use the comment space below to tell us how you’re finding your first month of going vegan. If you have questions, we’ll do our best to respond as soon as we can!

We’d love to hear from more seasoned vegans, too. So whether you’ve been “clean” (of animal products, that is) for 30 days, 30 weeks or 30 years, please share your insights!

Finally, as you embark on this exciting journey to a more compassionate lifestyle, remember: you’re not alone! Every day, thousands of people – including celebs such as Leona Lewis, Thom Yorke, Benjamin Zephaniah and Morrissey – are making the same choice to leave animals out of their diets.

And as we vegans grow in number, our voice becomes more powerful. A cruelty-free lifestyle has never been easier – from high-street fashion to sandwiches in supermarkets, you don’t have to go out of your way to find fantastic vegan options. Got a tip of your own? Tell us about it below!

Comments

1. avatar Jasmine says:

I turned vegan 1st January this year and it wasn’t as hard as I imagined. Organisation is the key, plan what you’re going to eat and when and stick to it. Prepare snacks and lunches at the weekend for the week ahead. Its really difficult to find anything vegan for lunch in my home town! Search the internet, there are 100′s of vegan blogs out there all with delicious recipes for you to try. You are not alone. Enjoy the food you eat, your pallet will change over time and you will be amazed at what you crave in the future.

• avatar Dan says:

Awesome. Luckily vegan options seem to be coming more and more popular at restaurants. Thanks for sharing!

2. avatar Lisa says:

Pret A Manger is a life-saver! A lot of their soups are vegan and so is their avocado sandwich. Being able to grab meals on-the-go has made being vegan so much easier for me.

3. I Am Finding It VERY HARD Because My Parents Are Trying To Make Me Become A Meat Eater ! HELP

4. avatar Cheryl Leanaghan says:

I’ve recently become vegan and it was the best thing I’ve ever done!! I’ve found it difficult at 1st but I got in touch with the vegan society and they helped a great deal! My advice is if you want to turn vegan just do it it will change your life for the better!

5. avatar Carly Prendergast says:

I’ve been vegetarian for nearly 20 years and earlier this year I decided to go vegan. Haven’t had any dairy for 3 months and gave up eggs 2 weeks ago :) As a lover of chocolate, cakes and cheese I never thought I could do it but once the initial couple of weeks of cravings were over it was really easy. I feel much healthier and I’ve learnt to cook so many cool things! Planning meals ahead is a definite must for me and I also carry around a bar of vegan chocolate with me in case I get a sudden craving whilst I’m in a non vegan friendly place :)

6. avatar carol says:

i turned vegan this yr i will never look bk… ive never been healthier,slimmer or more guilt free… its the way for the future with so many products out there we have no need to kill,,, i love my vegan lifesyle and i am an avid animaal rights supporter….

7. avatar Carol Guyatt says:

Don’t know what to substitute meat with ???

• avatar Dan says:

Hey Carol.
      There’s loads of protein-packed veggies, but if you are looking for fake meats, check out the freezer aisle of most large supermarkets. In the UK, you’ll find vegan sausages and burgers at Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and Morrissons. You can find a bigger variety at specialty shops and some Holland & Barrets or make it yourself!

PETA US have a neat 2 week meal plan, if you’re just getting started and want some healthy meal ideas:

8. I have been vegan since Feb this year and vegetarian for about 3 years before that. I was feeling more and more uncomfortable with consuming dairy and eggs after finding out just how inhumane the industry is. I have been amazed at how easy it has been. My meals are adventurous and healthy and i enjoy planning and cooking my meals. I feel physically fit and am happy in the knowledge that i am not supporting animal cruelty. I have an allotment where i am growing lovely organic veg the vegan way.

9. avatar chander kumar soni says:

proud to be vegan.

10. avatar Julia says:

I’m vegan for nearly a year already! This has given an impetus to all my affairs! And even my oldest dreams have started turning into reality!!!

11. avatar Adrian B. says:

Thank you for the email updates. It’s always nice to be reminded.

Sadly I’ve not been 100% vegan. More 95%, and it’s been that way for several months. Not eating meat is so easy. I NEVER have to think about it or ever feel tempted. It was thanks to Durianrider that I discovered Esselstyn, Barnnard, McDougall, Robbins and Rich Roll.

Dairy is a bit harder to avoid. At home I don’t buy anything with dairy, so that’s covered. It’s more when I’m out of the house and not able to prepare food. Example, bread and sandwiches. They sneak that in any and all chances. Rare to find sandwiches sold to not have meat and diary. Also, eating out. Hard to find meals and starters that doesn’t involve butter or some condensed high fat dairy related sauces and cheeses being used. One must request all that rubbish to be removed or you get caught out. Other than that. Being as near vegan as possible is going good.

It’s slow going and will only lead to 100%. We’re all on a journey to de-program and remove all the propaganda that we were brainwashed with by meat and dairy companies, ill-educated “food gurus”, shill “food gurus”, dishonest “sport heroes” and bogus and shilling medical doctors on Television, on mainstream radio, in newspapers and other deceiving life distracting nonsenses.

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Adrian, it sounds like you’re definitely on the right track! You’re right, eating out is generally trickier than cooking for yourself, but these days more and more restaurants are becoming aware of vegan diets and learning to cater to them, so it should only get easier and easier!

Have you tried Pret a Manger’s Naked Avocado sandwich? It’s vegan (and delicious) and is great when you’re out and about.

12. avatar Niki Donoghue says:

Have stuck to vegan diet, bought soya milk, the only thing I need to give up is chocolate! And find vegan, it is difficult because there are eggs and milk in so much like pasta! If anyone can suggest alternatives that would be great, have bought ‘the kind diet’ by Alicia Silverstone which is very helpful, got rid of all my leather and silk stuff, was hard because nice things but then I thought what do I love more clothes or animals, the latter choice was easy.

After seeing the Paul McCartney video on slaughter houses the thought of eating animal products makes me physically ill, becoming vegan is very liberating, so glad I made the choice, the only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Niki, it sounds like you’re doing great.

There is plenty of vegan chocolate around, so there’s no need to choose between compassion and chocolate cravings :) If you like dark chocolate, lots of it is dairy-free anyway (just check the ingredients before you buy it). Most supermarkets also sell dairy-free chocolate as part of their free-from ranges, or check out brands such as Plamil (which you can find in Holland & Barrett).

Thanks for choosing a lifestyle that’s kind to animals!

• avatar Claire Hamilton says:

Oh me too, that video was the clincher for me. If ever I am tempted by the smell of bacon I just envisage those poor little piglets. Like you, I wish I had done this sooner!
      Oh, you don’t need to give up chocolate especially if you like dark chocolate, you can even make it yourself and I found a really yummy recipe for choc mousse made with avocados, it is to die for!!

13. avatar Niki Donoghue says:

Hey Anne

Thank you so much for this, to be fair I had a baby eight months ago, so shouldn’t be eating chocolate anyway, it’s good to have a network of support here, by the way if anyone needs animal friendly non leather bags and cosmetics, try Hillside Animal Farm Sanctury, I support them, they take in and rescue cattle, pigs, horses, sheep, every type of animal, and they have a beautiful selection of animal friendly no. Leather bags and purses. http://Www.hillside.com

thanks Anne for your help, as being vegan quite new, tips like this from yourself are really helpful!

14. avatar Janet says:

I have been vegetarian for about 30 years but only this year decided that I could no longer justify dairy and eggs as cruelty IS involved especially in the dairy industry . It breaks my heart when I hear the Mother cows crying pitifully for her babies that have been snatched from them and , in the main , killed just so humans can steal the milk that nature intended for those beautiful babies. Those same babies are then killed for veal meat, gelatine and rennet as well as calf skin. No way can I EVER go back to eating anything made from milk after this experience (I live near a dairy farm ) and my pledge is now to be vegan for life.
    I do still hold an open mind about true free range eggs as a hen will lay eggs regardless of fertility as my own daughters hens do, but they are entirely free to roam wherever they like and eat whatever takes their fancy, and raise their chicks when the occasion gives rise. I personally do not eat eggs for health reasons . I have not found it at all difficult to abide by my pledge and am enjoying the new culinary challenge very much. I feel fantastic at 75 years old.

15. avatar Sue Radlett says:

I’m missing nothing. I have discovered cheezly which means I don’t miss cheese. I feel better in myself and no longer suffer from feeling bbloated. Going vegan was the best thing I’ve done. Joining my local vefan society helped as they introduced me to cheezly. :-)

16. avatar Janet says:

There is a terrific site called Vegusto that sells all sorts of cheese substitutes and their mince is soooooooo delicious. It is a dedicated Vegan site. I also like to ring the changes with cheezly and Bute Island vegan cheeses.

17. avatar Marion Bickerton says:

Hello, I have tried to go Vegan over 5 times now. All of them lasting a week to almost a month. I do find it hard, as I have Coeliac disease. The majority of foods I have found are gluten wheat based and are not suitable for me. Any advise would be much appreciated, as I’m still unsure what soy mince/ non cow milk and such would be okay. Thank you x

18. avatar Lucy says:

I found going vegan way to hard so i’m now attempting a veggie diet. it’s really difficult when eating at peoples houses as i don’t want to put anyone through the incovenience of making a separate dish just for me so there have been a few exceptions…

One thing I have absolutely done without exception is to make much better informed choices when buying my non vegna goods at the supermarket; I’m now making sure that all the meat we buy (my boyfriend will never go veggie) is from high quality organic farms where the animals are free range and treated ethically. I’m also only buying products that guarantee the use of free range eggs. More informed choices mean I can enjoy all of my food without having to worry about the treatment of the animals that it came from which is a great feeling.

19. avatar Simone says:

Sadly I’ve not been 100% vegan. But 98% :)
    I’m loving dairy-free milks, such as soya, hemp, rice or almond milk and almond milk. I can feel my body different, everything is working more than before. My skin is awesome!!!

I need to give up is chocolate! I found vegan, but i didn’t like…
    Two question: Is Oreo vegan? and ‘may contain milk’ is suitable to vegan diet?

• avatar Simone says:

And I’m teaching 2 boys about to be vegetarian and vegan. Showing some videos… They are loving !!! Its a little seeds :D

20. avatar Claire Hamilton says:

This is definitely the best thing I ever did and only wish I had done it sooner. I became a vegetarian about two months ago with limited dairy, then I saw the Paul McCartney video and now I am (almost) completely vegan. I am still eating a few eggs that come from a local lady where the chickens just run amok and are not killed but otherwise I wont touch anything with eggs in.
    I have also been on a diet and being vegan makes it so easy as I am not tempted by all the ghastly stuff I used to eat. I do miss cheese and I cannot seem to find it where I live in South Africa but its possible the local deli may be able to order it in for me, just need to know the best one out here!
    Eating for me has suddenly become fun again and I am getting quite adventurous in my cooking oh and I feel FANTASTIC! Thanks PETA, if It wasn’t for you I would still be a fat carnivore!

21. avatar Graziana Barsocchi says:

Hi! I had to turn from vegetarian to vegan and it wasn’t at all difficult. Supermarkets in my home town are beginning to stock tofu and other vegetable based products that are absolutely delicious, so, with a little more time spent checking and double checking labels I have found good things to eat while following the programme! I have used a few eggs that come from a local farm where chickens are happy and the only meat I bought is for my dog, but then, it cannot be helped, I guess…
    So, as apparently habits form in 21 to 30 days, we shall all be able to easily carry on being vegan, healthier and compassionate. At the end of the day, even though we might have had to make small sacrifices, the thought that not one animal has suffered for our sustenance or pleasure is the best reward. Thank you PETA for having launched this initiative!!!!

Hi Graziana,
      Glad to hear you’re finding plenty of tasty vegan foods to eat. Thanks for making the compassionate choice!

22. I have actually been a vegan for about 3 months, I have been vegetarian for 20 years. I do however have to admit that I eat eggs from my sisters free range pet hens, I feel this is acceptable to myself because these hens are loved and treated with kindness and always come for a cuddle! I feel they are happy to share their eggs with us! I find so many lovely things to eat (I thought I would miss cheese, but not now) that I have put on half a stone in weight too!

23. avatar Beatrice Aird O'Hanlon says:

Hi there,

I could not take myself to watch the video on slaughter-houses, I would just have been too upset as I just cannot bear to watch anything to do with animal cruelty, as animals have no voice at all, they are the silent sufferers in this great big planet of ours.

I have no problem going without meat, in fact that thought of eating it repulses me, but I do love goat cheese and most of the goats here in Ireland are on small organic farms, so I don’t feel too guilty about that, but going vegan would be a very good and health lifestyle, after all we should not be eating the milk from another species.
    We have lots of health food shops and vegetarian choices here in the village where I live and a wonderful vegetarian restaurant called “The Happy Pear”.

Beatrice from Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland.

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Beatrice, thanks for your comment. Giving up meat is a great first step, so well done!

You’re right that going vegan is the best way to make sure you’re diet is completely cruelty-free (and it’s also great for your health). Sadly, even on organic goat farms, male kids are generally killed before reaching adulthood because they can’t produce milk :( Why not ask your local health food shop about their range of vegan cheeses – you might be surprised by how tasty they can be!

24. avatar Maria Carreira says:

Dear Peta, it’s been two weeks now since I started my vegan adventure. I feel very well, less “full”. However this second week has been more difficult to me. And I slipped twice. I ate eggs one day and cheese onother. But I’m determinate to continue, and I’m hopping this eyar to have some vegan dishes at Christmas Eve. Until then, meal by meal I’ll make it.

Hi Maria,

You can do it! Slipping isn’t the end of the world, you’re trying and that’s great. Every step forward means more animals saved, which is great news for you and for animals everywhere.

If you’re having trouble planning meals you can check out PETA’s Two Week Vegan Meal Plan for some easy inspiration (the Avocado Reuben is a favourite of ours): http://www.peta.org/living/food/two-week-vegan-meal-plan/

Good luck with your vegan Christmas Eve feast!

25. avatar Marilyn Byrne Graziano says:

Thank you for your mail. With me you are preaching to the converted! I signed your pledge only for support. I haven’t eaten animal produce for years. I feel very healthy for the simple reason that i live an outdoor life. I wish you luck for all the work you do.

26. avatar Rita Houghton says:

I am vegetarian and have been so for 50years. Nothing would make me change my mind. The suffering of animal life is too horrendous to contemplate, just to eat meat. The majority of people are unaware or do not care how their food is brought to their plates. Education in schools about meat production should be part of the curriculum. Some children have no idea where steak comes from et cetera.

Hi Rita,

It’s fantastic to hear that you wouldn’t go back to eating meat, it does make a huge difference. Did you know that you can do even more for animals by going vegan – it’s also a great move for staying healthy, as eggs and dairy products are high in fat and cholesterol :)

27. avatar Diana says:

Eating vegan is easy (mind you I’m only on day 15) and I didn’t think it would be easy because I love milk in tea, chocolate, eggs, mayonnaise…could go on. BUT I’m not missing them. My relationship with food has changed, and I’m not having irrestistable cravings. The difficulty for me now, is having visitors. I want to cater for them and find myself buying non-vegan stuff for them. I seek dinner party type vegan recipes. This would make me happy!

28. avatar Deborah C says:

HI I signed up for the 30 day pledge and it’s going great. I was halfway there before I signed up so I already felt quite healthy but it feels more of an achievement now to continue creating new, inspiring dishes..I have become more creative but also more relaxed about what to eat and when. The only thing I have slipped up on so far is cake hmmm :))

29. avatar kris batty says:

I took to it very easily a while ago now, mid-july. I don’t find it hard except amongst others at evenings out so I don’t push things. Easy does it. I’m horrified that I have got to my age without being vegan and am angry with myself but am practicing forgiveness on a daily basis. I have lost weight, 8 kgs!! and feel happier and less “dull and heavy” mood-wise. I’ve discovered vegetables and wonder how I got by before! Meat-eating is pure bone-idleness letting vegetarian animals process the e.a.a. we need but can also process like them by eating a range of vegs and grains. So much healthier for everybody! Particularly th non-human animals! OOOOFFFF

Hi Kris,

That’s fantastic you’re enjoying your new diet and finding health benefits too :)

Engaging people in conversation is a great way to start them thinking about why they make their choices – so when among friends, don’t be shy about sharing your reasons for choosing vegan!

30. avatar Satyajeet says:

Feeling myself more like a human being now. Its better being humane than to be just a human being.

Thank you for helping me take this wonderful decision.

31. avatar Marilyn Byrne Graziano says:

If we love animals it’s easy not to eat them!!

32. avatar Rozelle Cunningham says:

I have actually been veggie 26 years and vegan 6 months now. I love all animals and would never consider them a food source. How could you its barbaric.<3

33. avatar Stef Faloon says:

I have been vegetarian for pretty much my entire life so the step to vegan was not that difficult really. I thought it would be much harder but I have found nothing so far that I have found difficult to give up, thou olives seem much less tasty without feta cheese. Two weeks into my vegan experiment and I feel absolutely brilliant, I have more energy, in general I feel more calm, alert and happy. I am aware that part of this is also that I am cooking from scratch and cutting out the crap in processed foods, also I can’t fall into the trap of crisps, chocolate and my worst enemy pizza. I was talking to a lady in the Whole Foods shop the other day who made the transition between veggie and vegan a while ago but she warned me that I may start to feel weak bones due to a lack of calcium. I guess if I keep up with the effort of cooking and adding new things to my diet (agave and miso paste where the last two weeks) then I should manage to avoid this issue…

I am travelling next week thou, so I am a little nervous about that as I will be staying in people’s homes and will need food for travel and eating out may start to create problems socially and practically. But I am preparing myself for that as much as I can.

One thing I am still trying to get my head around is honey… I am not eating it, I have never really ate it as I’m not that fond of it, but I am curious as to the harm that honey harvesting really does to bees? The bee population is in trouble in the UK so is there not a benefit in keeping hives alive and active? Please excuse my ignorance.

34. avatar Samantha says:

I have been vegan for 2 weeks now and I am really enjoying this way of living, I wasn’t a very big meat eater anyway so I knew cutting that out wouldn’t be a problem but was really worried about the cheese because it was my favourite food. I tried a soya cheese alternative last week and I can honestly say I prefer the taste of that to normal cheese although saying that it taste very similar to regualr cheese anyway so its perfect for me, I used it to make a home made vegetable pizza and on cheese and tomato on toast. I have noticed my skin is so much clearer and I have lost weight too which is excellent. Another vgood thing is that a vegan shop has just opened by were I live, couldn’t of asked for better timing really and it sells all kinds of staples plus toiletries and frozen and fresh food and treat foods such as vegan chocolate. They also have a fresh cake counter so you can buy a slice of fresh home made vegan cake. I had a slice of tge peanut butter cake and it was delicious. I don’t want to live any other way now so I will be keeping to this way of life for good.

• avatar Anne says:

Hey Samantha, delighted (but not surprised!) that you’re having such a positive experience – and a little bit jealous about the vegan peanut butter cake :)

35. avatar Shellee Moon says:

My family and I went Vegan 2 weeks ago and it has completely changed our lives! In just 2 weeks (with the help of PETA and with the help of movies like “Earthlings” & “Vegucated”) my husband has even enrolled in a vegan culinary school, and plans on opening a vegan restaurant. Most of all, I am over the moon to be cruelty free, and to know that we are doing our part to show compassion to animals and to the planet. Here’s to changing the world! Nameste

• avatar Anne says:

Hi Shellee – thank you so much for choosing a compassionate diet and making such a positive step for animals and the environment :)

36. avatar Stuart Greig says:

I have been Vegan now for a month and pledged 14 days ago on this site to do 30 days as had forgot to pledge at the start. Am loving the food options, feeling better and getting used to planning meals. The price if my shopping has gone down as I no longer fill my trolley with packs of processed meats and junk I can snack out on.

Really starting to find my way and finding large supermarkets supply lots of Vegan stuff.

Stuart

• avatar Anne says:

That’s great to hear, Stuart. A lot of people don’t realise how much affordable vegan stuff you can find in supermarkets these days, but it sounds like you’ve got it figured out!

37. avatar Hayley says:

Day 15 and feeling amazing! I decided after many years of debating with myself about becoming vegetarian to just cut the crap and go vegan after watching your ‘meat your meat’ video. Cried the whole way through it. Any I’m actually finding it quite easy, there are so many alturnatives to have and I have actually been getting my five a day, veg and fruit!! Smoothie everyday for breakfast, a tofu and cheezly bagel for lunch and rice pasta/rice and sauce or stir fry for tea. My parents are really supportive which is amazing even though they do make fun of me every now and again. I know I’m getting everything I need (I went and talked to a lovely woman in the local health store and she advised me on what I was lacking (mainly b12 which you can get from sea weed and alge, I got it powder form and have it in my smoothie so I can’t taste it). Anyway so far so good and I’m glad I made the change. I’m excited to be vegan for the rest of my life&extremely pleasednto be able to say animals don’t have to suffer for me to live! Good Luck to everyone else who has taken the pledge:)

• avatar Anne says:

Awesome, congratulations Hayley, really pleased to hear you’re enjoying your new vegan diet so much :)

38. avatar Jenny-Ly Ervin says:

I’m 80% raw vegan. I’m high raw and try to live according to the 80/10/10 diet. I feel this is the best diet for my body. Sometimes I make raw gourmet food, e.g. raw cakes, but I feel that simplicity really is the key to health. Whole fruits and greens!

I am 42 yrs old im over weight . And turn to raw food diet to help me but since then I have been learning about juicing .I have noticed my skin is so much clearer and I have lost weight too which is excellent.

39. avatar Emma says:

Day 15 of becoming vegan, and I feel great. I’d been a vegetarian since I was 19 (now 38) but started to eat fish again a few years ago. I’m not missing anything yet, I’ve lost 7 lb and i’m sleeping better and have tons of energy :-)

• avatar Anne says:

That’s great to hear, Emma. The first few weeks of changing diet are often the hardest, so it should start to get even better from here!

40. avatar Shellee Moon says:

Over a month Vegan and NEVER going back!!! My family and I feel amazing and knowing we are not contributing in any way to the suffering of any animal is the BEST feeling ever!! Thank you PETA!

41. avatar melegueta mattay says:

No trouble at all, wish I’d done it sooner. Shall never eat animal products again as I’m filled with the ardor of a zealot. No longer feel responsible for the suffering of all these creatures – Will Tuttle turned me totally to vegan. It’s easy at home, out is a bit tricky but can be managed. don’t miss anything!

42. avatar Lisa says:

15 days into vegan pledge although I have been vegan over a month now. It has been really easy. The recipes on this site have been really useful. I cannot justify eating meat when there is plenty of delicious alternatives about. I love animals, especially my beautiful dog Molly. X

43. avatar Ciara says:

Loving being vegan. Started a week before lent and I’ve never eaten as well in my whole life. It can be awkward eating out as my other half is a major meat eater with no wiggle room for going to veggie restaurants , but I find if I ring ahead to whatever place we’re going to they will usually accommodate me (but the food I make at home is often nicer). Best of luck to all the beginners out there. X

44. avatar C says:

I’ve really enjoyed being vegan for the last month. I never thought I would like soya as much as cow milk, however the other day I had a sip of a friends coffee by accident and I winced! I can’t imagine having dairy in my diet now! In London, there are loads of great vegan cafes/resaraunts, just google them before you want to go out to eat. Some days i do frel tired though, any thoughts on what my diet i missing and how i can replace it? Thanks!

• avatar Dan says:

Hey C,
      Maybe some other vegans will chime in with tips, but personally I feel like I have more energy as a vegan! A vegan friend of mine who eats a lot of junk food speaks highly of liquid iron supplements for energy, maybe that could help? If it is a major concern, you should chat to your GP or ask a nutritionist about meal plans. :)

45. avatar Stacie-Anne says:

Ok, so here goes. I have wanted to become Vegan for a long time but I genuinely thought it would be very difficult for me as I am not an organised person by definition, however, I have taken to it all very easily. It has been made pretty easy for me as I am able to pick up a few vegan bits from the shop on my way home. They have a good range of milk alternatives and soya yoghurt too.
    I have had to plan my lunches and bring things into work this has actually worked greatly in my favour in terms of healthy and finances.
    There has been a couple of times I have found this tricky, when out in the country, stopping somewhere for tea and cake. Nowhere had soya milk (I now have a little flask I take with me) but cake is a no no, which did break my heart! I am going to have a vegan baking session this weekend though.
    All in all I am feeling SO much better in myself. For the last few days I have been starting my day with a Green Monster Soothie, which is a really wonderful way to get in loads of amazing green veg!
    All in all I am very pleased I decided to start the 30 day trial. I am pretty sure I am going to keep this up, I have never felt better :)

Hi Stacie- Anne,
      Thanks for sharing your experience, it sounds like it’s going great! Most people find that once they’ve established vegan habits, such as planning ahead, they become second nature. When you’re out and about, I find it’s always worth asking cafes and restaurants about whether they offer soya milk, vegan cakes etc. Even if they don’t offer these vegan options right now, if they get enough questions they’re likely to consider doing so in the future!

• avatar Lucy says:

Hi Stacie-Anne

Did you ever master vegan cake? I really want to perfect making vegan cupcakes. Any tips would be great x

46. avatar Tatiana says:

I’ve switched from vegetarianism to being vegan exactly two weeks ago and it was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Now,I know I am fully
    cruelty-free.I feel so happy I chose to try 30 day Vegan pledge.I’m 16 and my parents are still against me being vegan,but I’m not going to try to convince them to anything…I’m just going to do my thing…There’s nothing wrong with doing your best for animals and preventing them from suffering.
    Even though it’s just 30 days , I deeply feel like I will stay Vegan forever.
    Once you know about suffering and the pain that animals go through just for us to have meat or diary …it’s just unbelievable and I don’t want to be a part of it.
    In conclusion I am Vegan now and probably for the rest of my existence…
    Try it you will definitely not regret it. VEGAN FOR LIFE!!! <3

Hi Tatiana,
      It’s wonderful to read baoutyour enthusiasm for going vegan. Once they see how much you are benefiting from a plant-based diet, your parents may become more open to the idea :) Thank you for your compassion!

47. avatar Lucy says:

15 days in and I feel AMAZING! After being vegetarian for 6 years I finally decided to go vegan and I must say it has been just as easy giving up meat.

I have been eating the most delicious foods, plenty of veggies, beans, and making my own tasty sauces to go with my wholewheat pasta and spaghetti.

On Saturday night I made ”duck rolls” from Vegi Deli duck pieces, rice wraps, chopped cucumber and spring onions with plum sauce, followed by Swedish Glace Raspberry Ice Cream. I couldn’t believe that you can eat so well without any animal products.

I can still eat out. Pizza Express now have a vegan pizza, and Wagamamma list all of their dairy free items in a special menu, just ask for it. Easy peasy.

I am also going for afternoon tea next month which I thought was going to be a problem, but after emailing the hotel in advance they have arranged to make me a dairy free version! Many places now cater to vegans, some just need a bit of notice and they are happy to cater to your needs.

My skin also looks great! I suffer from adult acne and I cannot believe how it has pretty much cleared up completely.

My next challenge is mastering the perfect dairy free pizza and dairy free cupcakes.

I am so glad I have said goodbye to dairy!

48. avatar Sarah-jane Micklefield says:

Hello,
    I used to be Vegatarian up until 2001 when I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic and put on Pig derived Insulin, because of high blood sugar readings.
    I was told by not just my doctor, but also the diabetic clinic at the health centre that I could no longer npt eat animals AND be diabetic! I argued against this had to admit defeat after bringing my blood sugars down to a manageable daily reading I continued to feel extremely ill – Severely tired and anaemic all the time.
    Indeed I felt as though I had concrete in my pockets! Despite taking a good Vegan Multi vitamin and mineral complex and being injected with B12 and iron and eating the diet as adviced by the `Health specialists’ I was seeing!.
    To cut a long and painful story short, here I am again at your Gates so to speak.
    Wanting to be Vegan and being told I cannot be. I discovered after a lot of invasive and often humilitating tests …
    That I am not only Type 2 Diabetic, but I am also Coeliac! and have also been diagnosed with an Under Active Thyroid, Fibromyalgia and Hyper mobile joints!
    I am in a lot of pain with the Fibromyalgia (FMS) and the Hypermobility (HMS).
    My GP subjected me to a very loud and embarrassing talking down to when I told her I couldn’t eat Animal products anymore and it was making me feel very sick. She made me feel about an inch high in front of a full surgery waiting room and I left in tears with her words ringing in my ears that I will be even sicker if I don’t eat meat and dairy and how can I be so stupid?!
    So here I am. 4.44 am sat up in bed having been wide awake all night because I cannot take the pain meds she is insisting I take because they are capsules made from gelatine which is boiled bones of animals!.
    I cannot and will not eat anymore animal products. I must prove to not only my Gp but also the other health specialists that it is better for me to be vegan now.
    Please help me. I don’t want to die, which is what my doctor said will happen if I become vegan. She says I cannot be a Vegan Coeliac – Diabetic . Please help me prove I can be ASAP because I cannot stomach eating any more animals. The way they are treated sickens me to my very core.
    I read on Facebook that you are giving out Free Packs for people wanting to be Vegan. Please advice me how I can get mine?.
    I look forward to hearing from you, hopefully very soon, Thank you for reading.
    Yours Sincerely, Sarah-jane Micklefield (nee Stocks)