For Ducks’ Sake, Gordon – Please Stop Selling Foie Gras!
  • May

For Ducks’ Sake, Gordon – Please Stop Selling Foie Gras!

Celeb chef in PETA US investigationGordon Ramsay has always courted controversy, but it’s still a real shock to learn that he’s associated with the torture of thousands of ducks for the production of cruel foie gras.

A new PETA US investigation of Hudson Valley Foie Gras, which supplies the celeb chef’s Manhattan restaurant, reveals how birds are violently force-fed with appalling cruelty at the factory farm, which calls itself the “premier producers of foie gras” in the US.

Video footage shows farm workers shoving steel tubes down ducks’ throats and dumping huge amounts of grain into their bodies three times a day, every day, for weeks in order to sicken and enlarge the birds’ livers. At slaughter, ducks are hung upside down, have their throats slit and are left to bleed to death.

PETA US has sent Gordon a request to stop selling this vile foodstuff. In the past, he’s rejected some of the pork industry’s worst factory-farming practices on his show, The F Word, so we’re keeping our fingers crossed that he’ll act with compassion and swear off this particular “F word” – foie gras – for good.

Experts agree that there is no such thing as humane foie gras. Force-feeding causes oesophageal tears and splits, liver rupture and failure, heat stress and aspiration pneumonia. By Hudson Valley Foie Gras’ own reckoning, some 15,000 ducks on the farm die every year before they make it to slaughter.

Sadly, although this kind of animal abuse is illegal on British soil, there are still companies here that are profiting from the sale of foie gras. Please join our campaign to stop Fortnum & Mason from selling this “torture in a tin”.

Image: gordonramsaysubmissions / CC BY 2.0

Comments

1. avatar Libby Freeman says:

I’ve been to your restaurant and I did not have the foie gras. It is an outdated concept and you should realise this.

2. avatar Ciss Powell says:

Come on Gordon Ramsey for Ducks sake!!!

3. avatar Ffion Rees says:

I won’t be eating at any of your restaurants whilst you sell Foie Gras.

Many thanks

Ffion Rees

4. avatar Angela says:

I won’t have any more to do with Gordan Ramsay, I wash my hands of you and your bullsh*t food, this is beyond cruel

5. avatar Deborah Goodwin says:

Someone shud do this to Gordon !!

6. avatar Helen Davey says:

Don’t be soooo cruel – in fact – practice what you always bloody preach!!

7. SHAME ON YOU GORDON RAMSEY…… GET YOURSELF TO ONE OF THESE TORTURE CHAMBERS AND SEE THE SUFFERING YOU ARE INFLICTED ON THESE INNOCENT DUCKS

8. avatar Fred Nye says:

I go on holiday to the U.S,but will make a point of steering clear of your establishments.DISGUSTING.

9. SHAME ON YOU RAMSAY I HOPE THAY TAKE ALL YOUR T V SHOWS OFF THE AIR

10. so wish people would stop torturing animals, please make them stop.

11. avatar Melanie Hargrave McComb says:

Please watch the video and search your conscience, do you really want your name next to such torture?
    Let people know that you have only the best animal welfare at heart by not using the product anymore.

12. avatar Gemma says:

I’ve always had a tremendous respect for Gordon but this is really disappointing. Here’s hoping Gordon listens to reason and compassion and stops serving this vile produce in his restaurants.

13. avatar Vanessa Walsh says:

Mr. Ramsey,
    Please, please please take foie gras off all your menus. I don’t want to rant and rave at you, to me that doesn’t get anyone anywhere. I am asking you to search your conscience and please stop. This really is barbaric and no animal deserves this treatment.

14. avatar Katrina Vella says:

Ramsey, I used to respect you as a free thinker and a good chef but not asny more!! Do me a favour and everyone who agrees that this should go on! Go to one of these farms and be force fed for one day and see if you like it!!!! Im sure you and everyone else would soon change your mind!

15. avatar Sara Hughes says:

Stop this inhumane practice…..for What!!!!!!!

16. avatar marian says:

i hope gordon ramsey has told and shown his family how this product is made so that they know where his money comes from for them to enjoy . He should be ashamed of himself for the amount of money he makes ,he should not need cruel practices !!!

17. avatar Anthony Hampsheir says:

Mr Ramsey,

Please show compasion to these tortured animals and publicly condem this practice and in doing so increase the popularity of your restaurants and TV shows!
    I am sure with your skills you have many more ideas for your menu than having to use this component

18. avatar Dot Pleydell says:

No need for this cruelty

19. avatar annette Edwards says:

Dear Gordon,

I know how you believe in sourcing good, well produced food. It is also so important that the food sourced is ethically produced. You must know the facts about fois gras. it is thankfully becoming increasingly unacceptable to sell or serve this unnecessary luxury as more people become aware of the horrific way that it is produced.

Please, please join the more enlightened chefs and remove fois gras from your menu. I have no doubt that doing so will increase your popularity, whereas serving it will repulse most people.

If in doubt, ask Tanna and the kids- see what they think.

20. avatar Fay Bailey says:

Maybe you heard the saying….Do onto others as you would have done to yourself – and — you get back what you give out! so be aware, it might just happen to you…….. So please for the sake of your own neck in business and in life, come out and be someone who cares and not the cruel despicable moron you now appear to be…

21. avatar cherrol says:

Gordon surely you make enough money in your restaurants that you do not need duck or Foie Gras, do you understand that ducks are force fed with tubes down there gullets so that your customers can order foie gras and make them feel selves feel special at the cost of these beautifull birds suffering…what the fuck is wrong with you people that you put money before pain and suffering of ducks, you should be a shamed of your self but your probably not even concerned as long at the cash register tings…pfffffft you are not the person I thought you to be.

22. avatar Salome Reis says:

I don’t see your tv shows and i’ll never eat at any of restaurants and I’ll propagand against your show and your “slaughter house” to everyone I know.

23. avatar RUTH says:

If Gordon Ramsey cannot see that this awful and barbaric method of torture forced onto these poor suffering creatures to provide Foie Grass is wrong,then it will show what a dispicable,uncaring and cruel person this man is,it will expose him for what he is, a callous,hard hearted individual who cares not a jot about anyone or anything but himself, what goes around comes around……to do the right thing and take this vile product off the menu would be far better for his image and profile in the long run than the continued stubborn, pompous, and arrogant attitude he has already got,he would be admired by it and set the trend for others to follow!

24. avatar Gwen Palmer says:

This is barbaric and should be stopped completely – Gordon Ramsey isn’t the only idiot endorsing this torture. If you’ve ever been unfortunate enough to watch one of his programs and listen to how he talks to people with such disrespect poor animals don’t stand a chance. If he ever comes onto a TV cookery program I turn off or change channels and I would NEVER frequent one of his restaurants

25. avatar anne lewis says:

please stop this it is so so cruel, these poor animals should not be treated like this, u must stop selling this in your restaurants at once……

26. avatar Ann Stacher says:

Oh! How horrible. I cannot believe that in this day and age, people are allowed to be so cruel. I thought Gordon Ramsey was a animal and bird loving person. He has to know about this barbaric treatment of ducks. I had respect for him but my opinion has changed.

27. avatar deneaze says:

hey gordon bleu?? your at it again, first horse meat now ducks, are you that untalented that you have to cook anything and everything to get money from your ridiculous menus, lay off our animals that arent treated properly in the first place, or do you condone animal cruelty. well you had horse manure dumped on your doorstep in the past, i wonder what you’ll get now for this. you nasty piece a work.

28. avatar marie says:

he will be telling us next he knew nothing about it!And if he does then he ought to be ashamed of himself.i certainly will not be visiting any of his restaurants or watching any of his demented ravings on telly.

29. avatar deneaze says:

just one more thing, your a ducking bastard.

30. avatar sherie says:

Im disgusted !! there is no need for any animal to suffer like this!!!.

31. avatar janine says:

He’a so pig ignorant anyway …would he give a shit.

32. avatar Fiona Hunter says:

Dear Mr Ramsay, I was recently told that my daughters had booked a table at your restaraunt for my big birthday celebration, however since discovering that YOU serve fois gras in your restaraunt, I will now be asking my daughters to cancel this booking, I am totally shocked and very dissapointed in your decision to support this very cruel traetment of animals

33. avatar Grouch says:

What you permit…..you promote. Let me drop a big F bomb on you!

34. avatar Paul says:

Disgusting and unnecessary, this guy will do anything to make a buck.

35. avatar TINA says:

This is SHIT, this kind of animal treatment make me feel very very sad and angry that there are so many cruel F**cks around.. Ramsey open your heart !

36. avatar Lulu Barham says:

I will not be eating at any of your restaurants now……..and I will making sure everyone knows about this……. please stop selling this…… it is extremely cruel and unnecessary, please be humane……

37. avatar Jacqueline Way says:

Dear Gordon,

I am told that the product in question is delicious. However, sometimes our conscience should prevail. Please remove this product and end the terrible cruelty to animals who are unable to defend themselves.

Yours sincerely

Jacqui

38. Please stop profiting from this horrific practice and do the right thing.

39. avatar Allan Empson says:

F*****G STOP IT OK

40. avatar sha says:

disgusting and shame on you

41. avatar Tracy says:

Shame on you GORDON RAMSAY, for buying, and serving this tortuous product to your customers.. I, for one, will not eat in any of your restaurants, and will advise others to do the same..

42. avatar kathy says:

This is a disgrace. These for creatures suffer so terribly because of people’s greed.

43. avatar Rita Preston says:

Come on Gordon , do the decent thing and bring humanity to the fore. Stop buying and using Fois gras in your restaurants. Animals should have rights too

44. avatar Paul Stevens says:

Fois gras is oral rape.

45. Gordon so sad your a greedy twatface knob :(

46. avatar Vincent says:

You deserve to lose all your business Gordon, for being so cruel!

47. avatar Jim says:

Nobody eat at his restaurants, or force feed him his own shit see how he likes it.