Victory! Commissioner Confirms That EU Cosmetics Testing Ban Will Go Ahead - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Feb

Victory! Commissioner Confirms That EU Cosmetics Testing Ban Will Go Ahead

We’ve just sent the European Commission a huge bouquet of flowers. Why? Because we’re delighted by the fantastic news that a ban on the sale of all animal-tested cosmetics in the EU will come into effect in March of this year.

The much-needed ban has been in the pipeline for a long time, but there were fears that it might be postponed or weakened. This week, PETA UK Associate Director Mimi Bekhechi met Commissioner Tonio Borg in person and got his word that it will go ahead, meaning that, starting in March, cosmetics companies that subject animals to horrific tests will not be allowed to sell their products on European shelves.

This landmark success comes after thousands of you joined us and our international affiliates in taking action, with public protests, phone calls and a deluge of e-mails to the Commission. We’d like to say a huge “Thank you!” to all of you who joined this campaign and showed the EU that, across Europe, people are united in the belief that cosmetics cannot come before animals’ lives. The ban will save hundreds of thousands of animals and follows a similar ban implemented by Israel in January.

This is a great day for animals and consumers! Please join us in thanking Commissioner Borg for making the EU a more compassionate place – send him flowers or a card at this address:

Mr. Tonio BORG
Directorate-General Health and Consumer Policy
European Commission
B-1049 Brussels BELGIUM

Comments

1. avatar joanna says:

I am very happy about that and do hope it won’t be just a matter of having it written neatly on the paper. Also, I do hope that European consumers’ voice will make the producers rethink the whole China market thing. I know life is all about maknig the money nowadays but we are a serious target group as well, and some clear rules should be established. Cruelty is a bad idea and we just don’t want to buy it anymore. And seriously, if it all goes in the same direction, I woll soonend up without any cosmetics to choose from :).

2. avatar joanna says:

I also hope that one day Europe will stop being so obedient to China just for the sake of money and will actually start defending the ideas in which we allegedly believe…

3. avatar Jane Moore says:

That is fantastic news; animal testing for beauty is utterly unjustifiable, well done.

4. avatar Laura says:

So what’s going to happen exactly? What can we expect?

I’ve spoken to a few large shops (e.g. supermarkets) who have replied to me saying they are not aware of this ban and as far as they know the products (from L’oreal, Max Factor, etc) will remain on the shelves.

Unless these companies are simply going to send us any cosmetic products which haven’t been tested to fill the shelves, surely this ban means they can no longer sell their products in our country? But if that was the case, surely a very large proportion of the products on the shop shelves will need to be removed as of March 11th with this ban being enforced.

However if the large shop giants aren’t even aware of the ban then how is this going to affect what we see for sale?

I want to see an end to animal testing for cosmetics as I believe it’s barbaric and unnecessary. I think the UK’s been quite hypocritical banning the animal testing for UK companies yet allows other countries who do test sell their products here.

I want to see all of these completely removed and no longer on sale. But will it happen?? What will this ban actually do? And why don’t the large supermarkets know about it?

• avatar Ella says:

No you don’t get it, i doesn’t mean that products that have been tested allready will be removed it means that no products tested after that date will be legal to sell in Europe. It would be impossible to ban all products that have been tested, since nearly every ingrediant we use today in cosmetics has been tested at some point in the past even if the cruelty free companies who use them no longer do so. Banning those products would be pointless, the damage is allready done, the goal to fight for is to stop futher suffering.

5. avatar Kim Anderson says:

Excellent. This is wonderful news and a definite breakthrough in this wonderful work. Thank you to all involved.

6. avatar Leena Parkar says:

Yes sooo happy for the animals!

7. avatar laura says:

stop animal cruelty!!

8. avatar Val Kerry says:

GRAET NEWS !!!! LETS HOPE WE CAN NOW HELP THE ANIMALS IN OTHER WAYS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCT !!!!!
    AFTER ALL THEIR ARE NOW OTHER WAYS TO TEST THEM WITHOUT POISENING ANIMALS . IF OTHERS CAN DO IT WHY NOT PROCTER & GAMBLE AND OTHER COMPANYS STILL KILLING ANIMALS
    ALSO HOPE THEY DONT BRING IN COSMETICS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES THAT HAVE BEEN TEST ON.

9. avatar Nicoletta says:

It is stupid to test any animal product. The need to stop abusing living beings for their lucrative purposes. You seek human volunteers aware on what do tests. Nicole Diso Italy

10. avatar Lorenzo Esposito says:

Basta con la violenza sugli animali !!!!

11. avatar Alessandra Bocci says:

Basta con la crudeltà sugli animali!!!!!

12. avatar monica benato says:

stop alla vivisezione!!!!!

13. avatar Filippo says:

STOP ALLA VIVISEZIONE SUGLI ANIMALI! E’ DISUMANO!

14. avatar POLA DANIELA says:

NO VIVISECTION

15. […] probably heard the good news – as of 11 March, cosmetics tested on animals can no longer be sold in Europe, even if the […]

16. avatar Joanna says:

This is brilliant news and makes me very happy. I am smiling on the inside and out through this amazing act of compassion.

My heart feels a bit better in knowing some of the suffering will end. There is still a long way to go but it is a good start.

I truly hope that this positive progress continues! :-)

17. avatar Mica says:

Have just seen the coverage and news about the “Savetheharlanbeagles” it is a disgrace and inhumane. Have been going round the house looking for products tested on animals and chucking them in the bin.Have been buying Ecover and I think it is a great product sensitive and not too powerful very delicate, washing smells fresh and delicate and love the washing up and cleaning stuff. Now for my levothyroxine as I have a thyroid problem. The Almus Pharmaceuticals is on the box and will send them an email and do some research. Should the product have been tested on animals I will simply stop taking them. I beleve strongly in animal welfare and that no animal should suffer for beauty or medicine. Having seen what happens to the beagles in a lab makes me feel sick, the yelping and screaming of a dog, I could not eat and went to bed crying.This is what it is doing to the majority of us and up until now one turns a blind eye and think its not happening and until you hear news that beagles arrived in Manchester to go to a lab.I believe no animals should suffer and will refuse to take my thyroid tablets if they are/have been and look for a company who dont test, I doubt there is one that dont test for medicine.

• avatar Lyndsay Ramsey says:

Hi Mica, I don’t for one minute want to be negative, but you may want to know something I have just read, which is that Ecover tests on water fleas, so are not actually cruelty free. They seem to mainly focus on ‘Eco friendly’ as in earth/environmental friendly, rather than to include animals in this description.
      Regards,
      Lyndsay

18. […] for the sake of the cosmetics products on our shelves. Yes, it’s 11 March, the day that the EU Cosmetics Testing Sales Ban finally comes into force, a cause for celebration for animals, consumers and […]

19. avatar Leon says:

Can anyone answer my question? If china test cosmetics on animals for sale in china do they also test cosmetics that are destined for other countries but not for sale in china?

• avatar Dan says:

My understanding is that those cosmetics receiving new tests in China will not be allowed to be sold in the EU.

20. avatar Leon says:

Thanks dan. I sell kids face paints and cosmetics to colleges from a EU manufacture

And sick of the cheap, bad quality cosmetics being sold to colleges or fancy dress shops!

21. avatar Arthur Gene Sumner says:

Animals have basic rights,which human beings must respect.All experiments on animals are completely wrong,and violates universal law.
    In many ways animals have far superior spiritual qualities than human beings.

22. avatar Lucinda says:

So glad this ban has come out me and all my friends at collage are very happy with this and we will be very anger if the ban is lifted, very anger!!

23. avatar Pat Homer. says:

Am I glad!!!!!!! I use Faith In Nature and other similar products. Does this also cover cleaning materials , I think not but would hope that this can be stopped too. We have to speak for these animals, they can’t speak for themselves.

24. avatar Muriel Servaege says:

I’m really happy about that. It’s a real breakthrough and I hope things will go on in the same way.

25. avatar julia says:

Any ban on animal suffering is good, and it should be made clear that China must stop abusing animals! I, for one cannot bear hearing about the suffering of Beagles in labs, or any animal. It kills me inside.
    I hope this ban has taken effect now, and that others will follow. It is unbearable to think that animals suffer inhumanely. It is beyond me how any human can work in labs and do this. They must be made of steel.

Please stop all animal experiments, and all unecessary cruelty. Thanks

• avatar Helyne Hesford says:

If experiments are necessary, why can’t it be done on humans I have heard of some humans signing up for drug testing, they get paid. What do animals get, suffering.

26. avatar Katie R says:

The ban on testing is a huge milestone and a great achievement.

Next, we must stop China abusing animals.. Beating millions of dogs to death. Such horrible, needless suffering of an animal. Please, please can something be done!? All animals are sentient beings, with feelings and emotions like us. We are not above them. All animal cruelty, testing should be banned.

• avatar Michele Waterman says:

Absolutely Katie! I have written letters and signed loads of petitions over the years and still it continues!

27. avatar Anne says:

Great news re cosmetics and I fully agree that we should now look to ban testing on household products too. Regarding China, I reckon we should all stop buying anything Chinese (and I mean anything including Chinese Takeaway food, Chinese cars and Chinese rubbish on internet sites such as ebay) until China signs up to and respects laws protecting animals and stops all animal testing. Encouraging contacts to do the same on Facebook and Twitter and a petition to whoever can do something in China would probably be quite powerful too. If all of us animal lovers in Europe and USA pledge not to buy anything Chinese we should be quite a large voice. One more thing, I believe I read in Peta that Avon now sell their cosmetics to China and China demands all cosmetics they sell are tested on animals. I’ve stopped buying Avon and written to them telling them why. So far no reply which, to me, says they are guilty!

28. avatar Michele Waterman says:

A BAN ON ANIMAL TESTING HAS NOT COME A MOMENT TOO SOON! WHILE THE EAST SUPPLIES “CHEAPER” GOODS…IT IS THE WEST WHO BUYS IT!
    HORRENDOUS CRUELTY THAT MOST CHOOSE TO TURN THEIR BACKS ON AND KEEP SILENT ABOUT IT.
    I HAVE HAD CREAMS TESTED ON MYSELF – WHAT A FAR MORE ACCURATE AND BENEFICIAL WAY!
    IT IS THE 21ST CENTURY AND SO MANY HAVE NOT EVOLVED – BARBARIC – BECAUSE THOSE MEETING OUT THE TORTURE ARE NOT THE ONES WHO ARE SUFFERING!!!

29. avatar Barbara Nilo says:

Yesssss i’m very happy for animals……..i have a very nice bunny fanny clever and much more……

30. avatar emma says:

hi, pleae dont think im stupid, just wanted to be clear on this new ban. Does this mean that any cosmetics sold in the uk are no longe tested on animals?

31. avatar Aubrey says:

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and
    gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic
    but I had to tell someone!

32. avatar Carol Edwards says:

I hate animal testing for anything. Creatures have a right to live their natural lives just the way humans do. Maybe I’m ignorant, but haven’t we got enough products on the market with already tested ingredients without putting these poor little souls through more torture. These people who work in testing laboratories must be psychopaths to want to hear a creature cry out in pain, and inflict further suffering on them. Not mentally stable if you ask me.

33. avatar Louise says:

I don’t really understand this. I’m from Denmark and all over the shops are makeup, that is still being tested on animals. Like MAC, L’oreal and others. So what does this mean? Why haven’t this been removed from the shelfs yet? I am very confused. Could someone clarify this for me??

34. avatar paul says:

It’s a great shame that the humans make these cruel experiments against dogs , cats and against all animals . The animals haven’t here on earth to be treated in a shameous way so, they’re here to be treated with respect too them, they have their rights, like humans. They have all rights to love on these earth , and to live well, with the more greatest respect : many thousands years ago the cats in Egypt were respected in a great way by the humans , what’s happened to some humans to treat the animals with this cruelty , it’s the time to stop these cruel experiments !!!!!!!!!!