Is this man the world's most inspiring vegetarian? Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Feb

101 and Still Going Strong – Is Fauja Singh the World’s Most Impressive Vegetarian?

You’re only as old as you feel, as the saying goes, and record-holding marathon runner Fauja Singh certainly proves that your age needn’t hold you back – the lifelong vegetarian will run the Hong Kong marathon on Sunday, despite having celebrated his 101st birthday last April!

So what’s the secret to Fauja’s awe-inspiring stamina and longevity? A wholesome plant-based diet, which is good for the planet and his own health. “In many parts of the world, people are dying because of starvation, whilst others are dying because of overeating”, he explains. “My solution is just to eat what my body needs.”

Scientific studies have conclusively shown that vegetarians tend to be fitter and healthier and are less likely to suffer from heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other illnesses than meat eaters are – and Fauja is the living proof. Although the PETA poster boy announced that this weekend’s race will be his last, the “Turbaned Torpedo” has achieved more since taking up marathon running at the age of 81 than many athletes half his age.

The compassionate centenarian is beyond inspirational, so whatever your age, why not follow in his sporty footsteps – go vegetarian, get off the couch and see what you can achieve!

Comments

I respect and admire all vegans and vegetarians. I don’t care if they are old, young, healthy, unhealthy, thin, obese, white, black, Hindu, Brahamin, Christian, Jewish or Islamic.

2. […] his first marathon in London. Eight more would follow. Throughout his career, Singh claimed that a strict vegetarian diet was the key to his astonishing […]

3. avatar Anna says:

I love people that are on the animals side but being a vegetarian ( I guess he is a ovo-lacto veg?) is not the way to go if you care for ALL animals!
    (Maybe he is a vegan but the article uses the word vegetarian instead?)
    The dairy and egg-industry is a horror beyond belief!!!

• avatar Emily says:

Absolutely Anna. I was thinking the same thing. Is he vegan I wonder as dairy isn’t healthy. Wonder if PETA could get this confirmed?!
      Be good to know :D

• avatar ravi says:

he’s probably lacto-veg. eggs aren’t consider vegetarian in south asian religions

4. I too want to point to the dangers of encouraging people to become vegetarians without pointing to the horrors involved in dairy production, as well as most eggs. I know so many people who have shifted from meat to dairy (including myself for quite a while), without realising that dairy is actually more intensive, more cruel, more environmentally-damaging and perhaps more unhealthy than beef, for instance. And yet veganism can be too rigid and sometimes blinkered (I know vegans who feed their cats and dogs cheap pellets or other pet food – closing their eyes to the atrocious factory farming conditions and quantities of preservatives involved. Other vegans feed their very carnivorous pets a vegan diet, which I consider cruel too!). I believe it’s possible to eat eggs from pretty happy hens – and keeping hens as egg-producing but well-loved pets in big gardens or smallholdings should be encouraged, I feel!

5. avatar Daved Waxman says:

Go VEGCON which means VEGetarian Conscious. VEGCONISM is ‘THE CONSCIOUS CHOICE BY CHANGING MINDS TO CHANGED HEARTS. I am a VEGCON not a vegan

6. avatar scarlet says:

I admire the actions for the people .

7. avatar chander kumar soni says:

waah, mr.fauza singh.

8. Muy bueno. Me gusta mucho el modo en que se expone. Un abrazo!