Members of Parliament Join PETA in Fortnum & Mason Foie Gras Protest - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Dec

Members of Parliament Join PETA in Fortnum & Mason Foie Gras Protest

What do Members of Parliament Kerry McCarthy, Martin Horwood, Chris Williamson and George Galloway have in common?

They are all disgusted by Fortnum & Mason’s support of the cruel and vile foie gras trade.

PETA MP Fortnum & Mason

Even though Fortnum & Mason claims to be “quintessentially English”, it sells foie gras – a product that’s illegal to make in the UK and that has been condemned not only by MPs but also by Royals and a number of British icons, including Sir Roger Moore and Dame Vera Lynn.

After seeing PETA’s video footage showing shocking cruelty to animals on the French goose farms that supply the Fortnum & Mason’s foie gras distributor, the MPs joined PETA in protest outside the shop. They brandished replicas of the metal pipes used to force-feed geese and held signs that read, “It’s Commons-Sense: Stop Foie Gras Sales”.
It’s long past time for Fortnum & Mason to follow the examples of Selfridges and Harvey Nichols and elect to take foie gras off its shelves for good.

Comments

1. Well done guys, its just a pity more MP’s don’t get on board. Thanks and keep up the good work!!

2. Thanks for standing up against this disgusting practice. How F.& M. can carry on selling this is beyond belief. Good luck to you four lovely people.

3. avatar Jess MEREDITH says:

This is really good to see – We all need to contact our MPs to hopefully get more on board.

4. avatar don hinton says:

Good Job Mates. If I was there I would treat you all to a meal and drinks. God Bless all of you.

5. avatar Rik says:

I have complained to The Inn at Grinshill in Shewsbury for serving Foie Gras but seems that many restaurants just don’t care about the cruelty. When I complained they didn’t even have the decency to get back to me!

6. avatar Mae says:

I complained to the Inn at Grinshill in Shrewsbury too and they didn’t bother to get back. Probably too ashamed!

7. avatar joan veldhuizen says:

Heroes!

8. avatar Avelina Pereira says:

There always be people working for a better world.

9. My poem on this subject

Pate de Torture

Please!
    Stop!
    What did I do wrong?
    Where are my rivers?
    Where is the sun?

You suspend me in bondage
    Feed me OVER and OVER again
    for YOUR human pleasure
    My life is shear PAIN

I have no feathers
    My beak is caked in blood
    All this, for your special food?

If there is reincarnation
    Please let there be
    You, choking on a funnel
    and this duck FREE!

10. So encouraging to know that these MPs are campaigning. I also hope that more will back this campaign.
    I hope everyone who goes to the restaurant sees this outside the shop first and thinks twice.
    Thank you Peta and to these MPs, you’re wonderful!

11. avatar emil says:

rest of the mp’s should join in or find new jobs.

12. [...] several times each day and are force-fed until their livers swell to 10 times their normal size. MPs from all political parties, including Caroline Lucas, George Galloway and Mike Hancock, agree that foie gras is wrong – not [...]

13. [...] liver. Fortnum and Masons has made no secret it stocks foie gras despite animal activists and members of parliament actively staging protests outside its Picadilly Store. In 2009 Selfridges in central London [...]

14. avatar LINDA BADHAM says:

GOOD FOR THE MP’S WHO CAN BE BOTHERED TO DO THE RIGHT THING ABOUT THIS DISGUSTING CRUELTY. AT LEAST SOME OF THEM HAVE MORALS ! I HAVE WRITTEN TO FOTNUM & MASONS BEFORE , I RECEIVED A VERY POLITE REPLY SAYING THAT IN THE UK “FOI GRAS ” IS NOT CONSIDERED CRUEL . HELLO OO ANYBODY OR ANY ANIMAL THAT IS FORCED TO HAVE A TUBE STUCK DOWN THEIR THROAT FOR THE BENEFIT OF SOMEONES PALATE IS BLOODY CRUEL AND SICKENING TO SAY THE LEAST !! THERES PLENTY OF OTHER FOODS TO EAT THAT DONT INVOLVE CRUELTY !!! TAKE A LOOK AT THEWAY THE ANIMALS ARE SLAUGHTERED ASWELL. HUMANE IS NOT IN THE DICTIONARY WHEN IT COMES TO SLAUGHTER !!