Brian May Is the Champion: Musician Named PETA UK's Person of the Year - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Dec

Brian May Is the Champion: Musician Named PETA UK’s Person of the Year

Brian May is a man of many talents, from playing guitar in Queen to getting a PhD in astrophysics. But this year, his gift for helping animals took the spotlight as he became an outspoken opponent of the British government’s plans to kill tens of thousands of badgers.

A badger “is a wonderful, sentient being”, Brian told the world, spreading the message on TV and the radio, in newspapers and on social media as part of “Team Badger”, a coalition of groups opposed to the ill-advised cull. His passion and commitment impressed us so much that we’ve made him PETA UK’s 2012 Person of the Year, adding his name to a list of previous winners that includes Pamela Anderson, Sir Roger Moore and Morrissey.

Brian’s defence of badgers is just the latest example of his kindness to animals. He has his own animal rights group, Save Me, which opposes other cruel practices such as fox hunting, while his estate in Surrey is home to a wildlife sanctuary that cares for injured badgers, hedgehogs and owls.

In fact, Brian has even said that he wants compassion to be his legacy: “when I’m gone, people will no doubt remember me for Queen, but I would much rather be remembered for attempting to change the way we treat our fellow creatures”.

Britain’s badgers are certainly lucky to have Brian fighting in their corner, and we know that his determination and commitment will be an inspiration to kind people everywhere. So congratulations, Brian – and keep up the good work!

Comments

1. avatar Laura Calderwood says:

WELL Done.. Brian May..Save Badgers because they say that culling is nt the answer..because nt all Badger carry ~TB~ anyway…………..

Brian May personifies compassion in action. Nobody in the wonderful music industry has done more to help animals than Brian May in the past few years. He loves all creatures ranging from slugs and mice to dolphins and great apes. He abhors slaughterhouses, animal research labs, hunting, trapping, fur farms, dogfighting, cockfighting, badger baiting and other forms of cruelty against animals. His benevolence for wildlife including foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, stags, hares, skunks and birds is boundless. Brian May’s mantra is that all sentient beings innately merit to live in peace and safety.

That God for Brian May because he is a saint for animals.

3. avatar ANNA MAIETTA says:

bless you adam, we need many more people like you.

4. avatar vesa says:

I LOVE Brian May, he really deserved it!
    Thanks Brian for all, and thanks Peta (and sorry for my very bad english!).

5. avatar Anne Graham says:

I absolutely LOVE Brian May. He’s done so much for animals, I wish there were more like him. thought is was great how he had the fox and badger on his sleves at the Olympics opening. He thoroughly deserves this title, and much more.

6. Dear Mr Brian May,I folowed your instructions to write our MP in parlament, to confirm your patition and we wait for next advice of your badgers team,how to help badgers to servive with farmers and british governement, to genocoide badgers is nonsence. I value your hard figth to protect nice badgers,I am tapestry maker and I designed and wove the gobelin Queen 1988 in Prague, as the memory of rock group on the stateg in Budapest with expressive scenery of coloured lights and liberation of audience.I think that this gobelin is possible to see in my website lmika.com, gallery Rudolfv Steiner house,2012,2013 and London, St Martin Crypt 2010.Your face is there with the faces ewmbers the groop.

Libuse Mikova
    England

7. avatar Sue Caldwell says:

I admire all that you’re doing!

COMFREY, which grows abundantly and was used by the Romans and others to heal wounds and broken bones, has apparently been shown in small studies to help cure an animal of TB! Yet, whenever I’ve approached Government sources, ESPECIALLY at The Welsh Assembly, I’ve just been patted on the head and told to go away. (They don’t want a CURE, as there’s more money in Vaccines or Culling apparently!)

Please continue defending the defenseless! Much unconditional love,

Sue and all the animals. x

(Tiamat Sue on Facebook..I try to post something new and controversial daily!)

Three great animal loving vegetarians are fnatastic British guitarists. Jeff Beck, Steve Howe and last but not least- Brian Harold May.

9. Thank you Dr Brian May for all you do for sentient beings and for the wonderful example you set to children and so many people. God bless you.

10. avatar chander kumar soni says:

please save animals.

11. avatar Rogério Dutra Bandos says:

Dear Mr. May:
    You are PhD in guitar, astriphysics and also in nobility of spirit.
    Thanks for your existence.

12. avatar steve calder says:

if more public faces spoke up the way brian has we would change the world .lets hope some take up the challenge

Brian May and Paul McCartney rock my world and they are animals’ musical heroes.