Band Spotlight: Argonaut
Already causing a stir around the UK and Europe, London-based musicians Argonaut clearly know how to rock it. The female-fronted grunge-pop band is about to release their self-titled album and still made time to chat with us about something very important – animal rights! Check out our interview with leading lady Lorna Lyons and then check out their sweet vocals and edgy riffs:
1. What was your first introduction to animal rights?
Becoming a vegetarian and loving The Smiths. The aftermath of the Lynx “It takes up to 40 dumb animals to make a fur coat, but only one to wear it” campaign was also a big influence.
2. What influenced your decision to go vegetarian?
A school friend and I made a joint decision. We went on a mission to spread the word, which included a visit to a local abattoir as part of a school project. I’ve never looked back since.
3. What are your favourite vegetarian foods when you’re on tour?
I adore traditional vegetarian Indian and really good falafel. I’m fortunate to have an excellent Indian vegetarian restaurant and falafel stall right on my doorstep. I’m also a sucker for veggie burgers and chips!
4. Of all the major animal rights issues, are there any in particular that are close to your heart?
All cruelty is close to my heart, but as a female front person, cosmetics testing is very important to me. I need to look good and to feel good knowing that my image is cruelty-free.
5. Have any bands, artists, or books influence your views on animal rights?
Obviously the Smiths’ “Meat Is Murder”. Morrissey has always been such a high-profile spokesperson. I loved the “I don’t eat my friends” T shirt in the “Every day is like Sunday” video and tried everywhere to get one at the time! It’s great to see my faves Placebo and Jane’s Addiction involved in PETA campaigns, too.
6. What’s one thing that Argonaut fans can do right now to help animals, even in a small way?
Be informed. Know the facts. Follow your conscience and do the right thing, whether that involves making a personal stand or speaking out against cruelty wherever you see it.
7. What’s coming up next for Argonaut that we can look forward to?
The release of our debut album for Criminal Records, Argonaut, and some awesome live shows and parties to promote it. We’re busy filming the video for our next single, “More life”, which is looking amazing. Also hoping to see myself in the running for Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity 2013!