PETA Activists Urge Olympians to Go For Gold: Go Vegan!
  • Jul

PETA Activists Urge Olympians to Go For Gold: Go Vegan!

Painted head to toe in gold, three of PETA’s awesome activists showed off their giant medals in London today, urging people to “Go for the Gold: Go Vegan”. Their point? That throwing meat, eggs and dairy products out of your diet is the best thing that you can do for your health – whether you’re a top-rung Olympian or a couch potato.

A number of athletes – including nine-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis and Britian’s own Fiona Oakes, who ran 151 miles across the Sahara Desert in the world’s toughest foot race – have turned to a vegan or vegetarian diet to maximize their performance. These athletes, along with record-breaking 101-year-old marathon runner Fauja Singh, know that a great performance starts with healthy food.

Anyone can be a winner for the hundreds of millions of animals raised and killed in intensive farming units in the UK every year. Just like us, other animals are highly social, form strong bonds with their friends and families and mourn when they lose a loved one. Yet on factory farms, animals are crowded together in their own waste. Most never see sunlight or breathe fresh air. When they are still very young, they are loaded onto lorries bound for the abattoir, where they ride a conveyor belt to the person or machine with the knife. Many are still conscious and terrified when they face the final incision.

Want a hand getting started? Just order your free Vegetarian/ Vegan Starter Kit.

Comments

If all humans were vegans there would be far less cruelty, global warming, deforestation, air, water and land pollution, starvation and environmental decimation.

England always wins the God Medal for music when it comes to producing vegetarian and vegan rock stars.

Paul McCartney- Major member of the Best band of all Time.
    Brian May- Iconic guitarist of England’s second greatest band.
    Jeff Beck- Greatest living rock n roll guitarist.
    Thom Yorke- Vegan vocalist for the incomparable Radiohead.
    Morrissey- The greatest glam star and the Pope of mope.

3. avatar Lara king says:

I would love to turn vegan as I am already vegetarian. But my friends are very unsupportive and say I can’t do it and I would hate the food. I am a very picky eater and don’t know if that would be a problem with the vegan diet? My parents would never allow it. I still haven’t told them I’m a vegetarian but as soon as I am old enough to make my own dinner and eat what I want to eat and stop surviving on pizzas and meat free mozzarella pasta, I will turn vegan!

• avatar Vicky says:

There are lots of websites like PCRM and VIVA which has a range of nutrition advice and recipies. There are plenty of vegan soya milks and cheeses which give a good alternative to dairy products.Leafy green vegetables and nuts are good sources of calcium and are more easily absorbed into the body.

Also important is to buy non animal tested beauty products and household products. P&G might be sponsoring the olympics but their record on animal testing is appalling.

4. avatar Grady says:

VEGCON pronounced veegcon which means VEGetarian CONscious. VEGCONISM is the “Conscious Choice”. Authored by David Wachsman. These words have substinent value as a opposed to vegan and veganism which has none. Don Watson used the first 3 and last 2 words of vegetarian to arrive at vegan. SO WHAT? I prefered to be called a VEGCON.

• avatar Ben says:

What is ‘substinent value’, and why don’t ‘vegan’ and ‘veganism’ possess it? Vegan means no animal product in addition to ‘nothing that had a face’. ‘VEGCON’ doesn’t really roll off the tongue (for me, at least) like the word, ‘vegan’ does.

5. avatar David Phillips says:

Well first of all its a nice thought that going vegan is going to save a lot of animals from getting killed, but the reality of this Vegan diet will be that thousands upon thousands of little animal will be killed when your grain fields, soy fields, and whatever else which has to be grown in mass quantities, are harvested by big industrial machines. So their will be death regardless, so for your tofu, or your hydrolyzed proteins straight from a lab diet, this is totally absurd.

We need to start living the way our ancestors used to and still do eat in many parts of the world.

I totally agree with PETA on animals raised in confinement, its sickening to my stomach, to know that they are leached of their natural diet of green grass and rouchage and the right to roam about and enjoy their life as much as possible. But that doesnt mean every meat eater eats a diet which consists of confinement raised animals, me personally I only eat meat if its organically pasture raised meat, and then it will NOT be young meat like veal per se, young animals for me personally should not be killed.

Here is another website for all of you to have a gander through;

PETA please respect this email and dont delete this comment, it has valid points.

Much Love

David

• avatar Mike Quinoa says:

David,

Don’t forget that the majority of soy and grain production is not destined as food for humans, but as feed for livestock. I believe the ratio is something like 12 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat (bovine). This is the major reason for rainforest devastation—to produce soy for cattle feed. So omnivores are still responsible for far more field animal deaths than are vegans.

You do realize as well, that there is not enough pasture land on the face of the earth to allow everyone to eat pasture-raised organic meat. Becoming a vegan is the best response to the atrocities perpetrated by industrial meat production.

6. avatar David Phillips says:

And to note Fauja Singh is a Vegetarian not a Vegan, he still incorporates Yoghurt and Milk into his diet.

7. Bravo, activistes de Peta! Je vous soutiens et je partage!

8. avatar Daved says:

I totally agree with Grady that Vegcon and Vegconism are far better and meaningful words than the former vegan and veganism. I too would rather be called a Vegcon not vegan.

9. avatar Michael Nightingale says:

Highly commendable. However, the most important thing is to abolish factory farming and return to simple, small farms. This would give people employment as well as producing better food.

The replacement of vegetarian food for animal produce should follow but can’t be enforced.

10. avatar evhane says:

bravo continuons ces exemples contre ceux qui prônent de manger la viande à tout prix

11. avatar Julie Hart says:

Being vegan will not be an option. There will be no sustainable future if peope do no adopt a compassionate lifestyle. Veganism is the only way foward for people,animals and the planet………….

12. avatar chander kumar soni says:

go for gold.

13. avatar Jill Deane says:

Droughts in America are causing panic and forecasting food shortages. Simple solution, stop farming animals, cut out the middle man and feed the world on non-animal protein.

Dairy cows need up to 1,000 litres of water a day, this is unsustainable. Perhaps if farmers became vegan they would develop a brain !

14. avatar Julia says:

Nice PETA-action. I am already a vegan, hope more people will follow. It’s not as difficult as it may seem. In fact, it’s not difficult at all, it brings peace of mind and lots of good food.

15. avatar Karen V says:

I have never been healthier or happier than since I became a vegan 3 years ago, after 15 years as a vegetarian. I eat a very varied, nutritious, tasty and healthy diet and all of my aches and pains have gone! I wish I’d done it years ago.
    I’ve never had the support of my family – they think I’m a freaky hippy because I care about the environment and animals and they laugh at me still (I’m 44 and have two teenage daughters who are both vegetarians).
    @ Lara – I use the Viva, Vegan Society and Vegetarian Society websites for recipes and meal plans and they also have information to help you make good food choices. The best advert for veganism is for us to look well and healthy – and pizza and meatballs won’t really help you do that. If you have a market near where you live you could go and explain to a fruit and veg stall holder you would just like to buy 1 of some different things to try them. Fear of the unknown can be a big thing – but you may discover some foods you really love that you haven’t had the opportunity to try before now. This week my favourite foods are raw baby courgettes (zucchini) in thin strips, plum tomatoes, spinach, avocado with toasted pine nuts scattered over and a drizzle of oil and lemon juice – delicious!
    I know that no animals were hurt and it’s really good for the health of me and the planet – a totally win-win situation!

16. avatar David Phillips says:

Mike Quinoa ,

All well and good you saying that most of the soy and grain production is for livestock, but do you have any references? and also I dont support grain fed animals, this is one of the biggest problem’s within the meat industry. Grass not grains.

Cows and sheep are Foregut Digesters, hence theyre able to digest rouchage, which basically says what it is, twigs, leaves, rough grass, all the rouchage that you would see as having no substance, well to a foregut/hindgut digester, their is actually a lot on offer. So all the land that your talking about, not being suitable for cattle, would actually be quite suitable for foregut digesters, just not for growing grains.

17. avatar Mike Quinoa says:

David,

“More than 70 percent of the grain and cereals grown in the United States are fed to farmed animals.”

So, omnivores are responsible for more small field animal deaths than vegetarians.

The world wants cheap meat. The only way to produce cheap meat is through the CAFO factory-farm model. This means largely grain-fed animals. Even scrubland-fed animals will ultimately have a higher price tag than their factory-farmed bretheren. The meat from grass-fed animals is more expensive (more than most are willing to pay). You as a consumer of this type of meat are in the tiny minority.

I don’t need to eat meat to thrive, so I don’t.