Human Leather - Would You Wear It? - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Jul

Human Leather – Would You Wear It?

A chic little downtown jacket. Buttery soft. Comes in a stunning mahogany tan. Detailed with a unique frilled-flesh collar. Made in England. 100% genuine human leather.

Would you wear it? Not a chance, right?!

Fortunately, no one was harmed in the making of this jacket. It’s actually made out of latex by art student Heidi Alavi to remind people that human skin and animal skin are the same – and that neither is “fabric”. Stealing skin to make jackets, bags and belts will never be acceptable. From cows to sheep to crocodiles to ostriches, all animals suffer at the hands of the barbaric leather and fur industries.

So if the thought of wearing human skin makes your stomach turn, consider this: when you buy leather, there’s no way of knowing what – or whom – you’re buying. Dog and cat skins are sometimes used to make leather and fur garments, which are sold – unmarked – all around the world. The one thing that you can be sure of is that if you’re wearing animal skin, you’re supporting cruelty to animals.

Designer Stella McCartney said in her PETA exposé of the leather industry, “I like to work with fabrics that don’t bleed”. Please pledge never to wear fabrics that bleed. Be comfortable in your own skin, and let animals keep theirs.

Comments

1. This is so true. Using animal fur is disgusting and wrong, and I am definitely sharing this with people that are indifferent or supportive of fur trading.

2. avatar Nina Therese says:

I would wear it. Simple as that.

3. avatar Adam says:

This is retarded, I wouldn’t wear or eat another human.
    It’s my own bloody race/species for the love of god…

You peta nutters need to find some logical grounds, everyone thinks you are a bunch of psychopaths

• avatar Lisa says:

The point of this art piece is simply to get people to question why they wear the skin of one species but not another. Most people, for example, wouldn’t be caught dead in a coat made out of dog but don’t think twice about wearing a leather jacket – yet surely all animals suffer when their skin is used for fashion.

• avatar Gemma Lampard says:

Adam, you do realise this is PETA’s website you’re commenting on right?!

Also, PETA – the “psychopaths” – are against wearing animals that have been killed for human vanity, so how does that make them anything even remotely close to “psychopaths”?

• avatar Fernanda says:

Oh no Adam, YOU are the psychopath. How could you even call Peta people psychopaths? They are indeed being related to animals suffering, that is NOT something a psychopath could do. You go read a book and feel ashamed for insulting this wonderful people.
      And I SO would use human skin, I rather use a donated skin by someone who decided that instead of an innocent animal with no possibility of saying NO.
      And, like Sheldon Cooper would say, I am not crazy, my mothergot me tested. F.Y. Adam for being an a-hole.

4. avatar poltergeist says:

Adam ought to be careful of such a boastful claim of knowing personally EVERYONE on the planet and knowing what they all think! If it’s psychopaths he’s after….Adam, meet Nina and David! Maybe you can make yourself useful as their next pair of shoes.

5. avatar MinnieBardot1 says:

Wat a nob Adam is, if he thinks this way why is he even on PETAs website, get lost and go and get your dictionary and find out what a psychopath actually is. Only animals lovers here!! I hope you dont own an animal.
    ALL animals suffer at the hands of the barbaric leather and fur industries…
    lets stop the torture, boycott ALL fur and leather!!!

6. avatar elena buga says:

god created us all equals.why did he create us is my question bec from all species we are the only one exterminating everything even our own in the name of what-fame fortune money fashion whatever.what if a different species than ours will take our place as the most so call advanced beeing on the earth,come from far away and instead of the usual u will hear-chinese are the best boiled.best delicatese germans etc.a species that will use us as we use animals now for eating ,fur testing.people kept in cages .what then?maybe then we will understand the suffering of our fellow creatures and end it for good.as for adam if u didnt understand the issue raised with the human skin i tryed explained it better.what if a new species will use u for their leather jacket how u would feel?

7. avatar Jamie says:

We are all biologically related, to every person and every animal, insect, bird, plant and organism in the world, and chemically related to the earth.
    How have humans come so far, the actions of using the resources we have, if we do not use these resources (therefore we are only animals), then we would die out?
    So if we eat/kill an animal who is biologically related to us, eating/and in a way killing a plant could therefore stand as the principle of animal cruelty if not cannibalism.
    As my point, human skin is said to be the best leather in the world, although the human who’s skin it is would have donated it, therefore i would not mind wearing human leather, even though it does sound pretty weird!

8. avatar Sophia Bell says:

I’m actually surprised that no one has mentioned the reality of human leather by now. Yes, it is real, it’s incredibly desired for various reasons, but it’s also outrageously expensive and hard to come by ( http://www.humanleather.co.uk/ ). And yes, I would wear it, and I think I might even contribute to it if I consider it well enough (and if my skin is of the right quality of texture and health).

I don’t really see the problem in wearing any leather so long as the company is humane — I would certainly try to find one that only uses naturally deceased animals in their manufacture. I don’t own any leather at the moment and have not for quite a long time though.