Beagles Are Barking With Joy Today! - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Jan

Beagles Are Barking With Joy Today!

This is a great day for animals, the government and common sense. We’re thrilled that following months of campaigning by PETA and other groups, including our appeals to East Riding Council and the Secretary of State, an organised protest outside the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and almost 10,000 objections from PETA supporters, the government has recognised what the public already knew – that breeding dogs for deadly experiments is a shameful trade. Dogs aren’t commodities, and they aren’t test tubes with tails. These dogs have been spared the worst of all possible lives: bred for profit on a factory farm and then sent to laboratories to be poisoned with pesticides and drugs or cut up in experiments. No animal deserves this kind of fate, and the sooner the whole B&K Universal operation shuts down, the better.

What we now need from the government is positive action to cut the numbers of dogs and all other animals used in experiments. At this moment, the Home Office is considering weakening even further the legal protection for animals in laboratories in response to a new EU directive. We need to see the same kind of enlightened common sense on this issue as we’ve seen today from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. Please take action to stop this from happening.

Comments

1. avatar helen dixon says:

In this century with our advanced scientific knowledge, there should be no reason to have to inflict inhumane treatment onto emotional and spiritual creatures like dogs, cats or other. Stop this insane cruelty now!

2. avatar Cheryl Lawless says:

This is an important step for beagals and hopefully soon there will be an end to animal testing. There is no place for this cruelty in the world anymore.

3. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

This is amazing news! No animal should be used in experiments, there is always a non- animal method of testing a product. The misery that these beagles suffer is dreadful all they know their entire life is the pain of being experimented on, no one should breed animals for experimentation it should be made illegal and anyway breedism should be a thing of the past, we should be finding homes for all the dogs and other animals that are in shelters through out the UK. I make sure that I always buy BUAV registered products, I will never buy anything tested on an animal.

I love this news. Brian May the guitarist of Queen ardently oppossed this cruel and shameful endeavor to torture beagles. He’s abhors all cruelty against all animals. They can test on stem cells and skin cells.

5. Absolutly great news, marched through hull, and the hull people were gobsmacked to think this was happening on their doorstep, this has made my day, wonderful for the beagles.

6. avatar Jade says:

what great news! i love my beagle

7. This has cheered me up such good news, I am very happy for the beagles.
    No animal deserves to suffer. I would also like to see these fur farms closed down, I feel sick after seeing the videos, I cannot believe that in this day and age such horrible thing’s go on, after seeing how these animals are treated I have started giving money to peta. And I thank you PETA for all your good work.

8. avatar Lady Anne Shaw says:

For God’s sake, stop this NOW.

9. avatar Candida Sa Dantas says:

No animal deserves to suffer. Please, stop now!
    Candida Sa Dantas

10. avatar Samantha Pulsford says:

Well done PETA! All vivisection and animal testing must be stopped!

11. avatar John Carmody says:

Well done to all the groups that took part in this joint effort! Bring on the next victory.

12. avatar suzette says:

i love this news.. keep up the good work peta.. i love all animals, mostly dogs tho

13. avatar ian says:

This is great news, we live in the 21st century and like Helen Dixon has mentioned we have advanced scientific knowledge so why on earth do they test on dogs and other animals? It is DISGUSTING!

Anyway, great news for the beagles!

14. […] It’s always fantastic to be involved in an intense campaign that achieves quick results for animals. Two weeks ago, we stopped an Air France shipment of monkeys destined for an animal laboratory, and the week before, we persuaded the government to refuse permission for a new beagle-breeding farm. […]

15. avatar beatriz astorino says:

stop please!

16. avatar beatriz astorino says:

Por favor, parem de autorizar a abertura destes verdadeiros campos de concentração!

17. avatar Sharon Dee says:

I remember when I was a kid (1960s), when I would pass by St. Elizabeth’s Hospital on Genesee Street, in Utica N.Y., and see all of the experiment dogs in a chain link kennel. I would go up and pet them through the fence. They would have big scars on their chest cavities, etc. Some could barely walk, and they were all from the shelters. They were someone’s pet, that the animal shelter turned over to the hospital for their torture. We so need to put an end to this…the animals are not lesser than we are. We are supposed to be protecting them. The Christian religion and others, think that to have “dominion” over the animals means that we can torture them….it means that we take care of and are responsible for them! This word, “dominion,is from the 14th century, and is a human invention anyway. We are to love and respect all creation….animals are from the creator, just as we are.

18. avatar chander kumar soni says:

please stop this.

19. avatar jenny says:

I know this will not be popular but I’m not sure this (at this time) is such a good think. I like all of you I’m sure want to see the end of animal testing, its a horrible practice that is known not to produce accurate results for comparison to humans. My concern, on researching this facility and why it was thought to be a good business proposal, is this they are only looking to produce enough dogs to reduce the need for importing. At present dogs are used for animal testing in the UK (sadly) they are imported from countries that do not necessarily have the animal welfare laws that we have here and as well as everything else are subjected to the trauma of international travel. If we cannot at present bring an immediate end to animal testing should we not aim to make these poor creatures suffer as little as possible in the meantime?

• avatar Alistair says:

Thanks for your comments, Jenny. This is Alistair from PETA. we do understand your concerns but we remain certain that Britain, and dogs, are better off without this facility. Despite their PR, as part of a multinational company exporting dogs for experiments (Marshall Bioresources), B&K would be very unlikely to reject the opportunity to export dogs to labs outside the UK if the demand was there. In those circumstances, we’d just end up with dogs being exported from the UK, not imported into it and the same transport problems occurring. Secondly, the availability and cost of animals does affect the level of experimentation: the more expensive and difficult to source animals are, the harder the experimenters look for alternatives. Thirdly, the campaign against the lab brought welcome publicity to the use of dogs in experiments, whoch helps us in our ultimate task ofending them. Lastly, of course, breeding animals for labs is an unethical business and Britain is better off without those.

I hope that has answered your concerns – thanks very much for your posting.

20. avatar Sue Griffiths says:

I pray that the end of animal experimentation will end soon. Some good news towards this end from Cardiff University, Wales.
    Read link below.

21. avatar vincenzo says:

All vivisection and animal testing must be stopped!

Vincenzo
    Italia

22. avatar Marisol Villajos says:

El mundo entero se ha vuelto loco. No más muertes inocentes, por favor. Ellos no se lo merecen.

23. avatar HELENA says:

Es asqueroso lo que hacen con los animales.

24. avatar Nieves says:

STOP EXPERIMENTATION. Yo boicoteo todo aquello que me huela a maltrato, explotación o experimentación animal. Científicos inmorales, investigadores que solo buscan las subvenciones, que asco de mundo, pobres animales.

25. avatar Alyson Nelson says:

GOD BLESS PETA

26. […] on the air transport of monkeys and the breeding of dogs for experiments show that we can save animals from suffering in laboratories, and with your continued and amazing […]

27. avatar Britt says:

Todaу, I went to thе beachfгont with my κids.
    Ӏ found a sеa ѕhеll anԁ gavе it tο
    my 4 yеar old ԁaughtеr аnd said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She ρlacеd the shell to her ear and screamed.
    Theгe was a hermit crab insiԁe and it pinchеd her ear.
    She neveг wantѕ to go bacκ!
    LoL I know this iѕ сompletеly off topic but I
    haԁ to tell ѕomeonе!

28. We need to sign and all petitions to get all the worldwide governments to stop using beagles for experiments now not later enough is way past enough this needs to stop now not later there animals not humans they don’t have a b o blood types how dare they do this to GOD’S CREATION THEY ARE SO BLOOD GUILTY FOR TORTURING BEING HEARTLESS CRUEL NO GOOD FOR NOTHINGS YOU ALL WILL PAY FOR DOING THIS TO GOD’S CREATION I CAN’T WAIT YOU ALL WILL REAP WHAT YOU SOE TRUST ME YOU WILL THE BIBLE SAYS VENGEANCE IS MINE SAYS JEHOVAH I WILL REPAY AND HE WILL HE IS NOT TO BE MOCKED AND NEITHER IS HIS CREATION