Would You Eat Your Dog? - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Dec

Would You Eat Your Dog?

How would children feel if Spot and Fluffy were stuffed and roasted for Christmas? That’s what we’re asking this holiday season with a new billboard that shows an animal who’s a cross between a dog and a turkey. We decided to run the billboard near Manchester schools in the hope that it will spark a dialogue between kids and their parents.

“Kids love animals, and if they thought about how turkeys feel pain and fear just as dogs and cats do, they’d trade in their drumsticks for a veggie roast in a heartbeat”, says PETA Special Projects Coordinator Abi. “Families can extend the spirit of peace and goodwill by offering humane, delicious vegan meals this Christmas.”

In nature, turkeys are protective and loving parents as well as spirited explorers who can climb trees and run as fast as 25 miles per hour. But most turkeys destined to be killed for food are crammed into filthy warehouses, where disease, heart attacks and sudden deaths are common. Turkeys are drugged and bred to grow such unnaturally large upper bodies that their legs often become crippled under the weight. More than 15 million turkeys are killed in the UK every year – more than 10 million for Christmas dinners alone.

Leave the turkey (and Fido) off your plate – go vegan!

Comments

1. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

I am going to go vegan on the 1 jan 2012, I’m busy preparing for it getting all my cosmetics replaced with vegan products, I will be sorting through my wardrobe making sure there is no wool or other clothes which have been made with cruelty. I am going to turn a vegan and stay a vegan, I tried vegetarianism a year ago, I gave up because Im not a very stong person and standing up for what I believed in was hard for me, cos my entire family eats meet and maybe I felt under pressure, more from myself than anyone else. But now I am a lot stronger, I am dedicated to not eat or wear any animal products, I have watched PETA’s videos and I simply can no longer continue eating any animal/ fish or dairy product. The cruelty that animals go thru is sickening. I pledge from the 1st of jan I shall be dedicated to veganism and be a better advocate and supporter of animal rights, with you PETA and the Vegan Society I cannot fail.

• avatar Claire says:

Hi John! It sounds like you’re jumping in at the deep end which might be hard – remember to go very easy on yourself especially at first, and make sure you have thought about how each meal is going to be really really tasty! and don’t worry in the case of cravings – give yourself a big pat on the back for being vegan often and don’t be afraid to binge out on substitutes once in a while to remind yourself that being vegan can be unhealthy too! If you accidentally stray – it’s not the end of of the world – just remind yourself why vegan = good and you’ll keep feeling good. Good luck, Claire.

• avatar James Saville says:

OK, everybody in your family eats “meet”…
      You absolute fool, maybe you should learn how to spell before you act your gullible self and believe all this pro-vegan propaganda.
      It’s a proven fact that eating (cooked) meat gave early humans a boost in brain development and spear headed out evolution…clearly not for these PETA clowns though.
      Merry Christmas anyway, I hope your nut roast fills you up…I know the turkey that I eat certainly will.

2. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

Thanks Claire, that means a lot to me. Your kind words give me the inspiration and dedication towards being cruelty free. Thanks so much, take care.

3. avatar Hunter says:

Yes I am a kid and I would eat my dog (that we treat very well and love very much), but because are we not not that poor (or cruel) and we can afford a Turkey or any other bird, my family does not have to.

4. avatar Allan Green says:

Hi Hunter, I’m not clear why you think it is cruel to eat your dog? See if you can come up with an answer which would not apply to a turkey. Good luck, Allan.

5. avatar Dan says:

LOL! This is a joke, right?

I will not eat any of God’s creatures. I do smetimes drink like a fish !

7. avatar HA says:

Because a dog doesn’t taste half as good as a turkey.

Also, guilt-tripping kids: seriously?

8. avatar Stu says:

This is hilarious. If I hadn’t known this was placed on PETA.org then I would have guessed this was some kind of turkey dog hybrid??

Either way you’ve not convinced me to not eat meat.

9. avatar prey says:

In response to allan green and Hunter, it would be cruel to eat his dog because he has an emotional attachment to it, that he does not have to the turkey. If he had a pet turkey he would not eat it because he has an emotional connection to the turkey.

10. avatar Po says:

I’d quite like to eat my dog, maybe this year my family can do turkey stuffed in dog? Make a change from the usual turkey stuffed in cat.

11. avatar Anon says:

Is this an actual poster? I can only think that someone has made it in with the aim to make peta look stupid(er).

I’d like to think most children are above this level of argument, maybe go for toddlers next time?

12. avatar Charles says:

PETA, I am delighted you have chosen to spread veganism by guilt tripping children into your practices. We don’t eat dogs (usually) because we have chosen them as companions. In another universe, maybe we’d keep turkeys and eat dogs, who knows. The argument is a little faulty but I wouldn’t have a problem with it if you weren’t targeting it at children. Instead of promoting animal rights, you’ve just made a few small children cry over their pet. How would a child convince their parents to go vegan? They don’t exactly have the money to buy their own food now, do they? Still, I should be glad it’s not another ‘I’d rather be naked than wear fur’ advert: you might be helping animals keep their skin but you’re certainly setting feminism back a few decades.

13. avatar MacFlash says:

Are you guys for real? You complain about the suffering of animals but stop at plants? Ripping a poor lettuce from the soil is one of the most inhumane acts a human can do. Do not kill for food!

14. avatar Harry says:

“Let’s not go for the well reasoned argument approach let’s guilt trip the little blood thirsty bastards!”

PETA you have sunk to new lows.

• avatar Wowzers says:

“PETA you have sunk to new lows.”
      That’s hardly news: peta has been rising (yes, RISING) to new lows since 1980.

15. avatar Martha says:

I don’t think the idea is to guilt trip people but start a discussion. Why is it that we eat one kind of animal but not another? Is it fair to treat one more kindly because we like it more. Maybe if kids compare their pets with animals bred for food they will consider ether whether that animal feels pain or has personality as well. Its an exercise in empathy not guilt tripping.