Horses Spared From Life of Misery on Oxford Streets
  • Dec

Horses Spared From Life of Misery on Oxford Streets

It’s the season of celebration, and in that spirit, we’ve got another reason for you to feel jovial this Christmas: Oxford City Council has rejected plans to reintroduce horse-drawn carriages! We are SO grateful to you, our brilliant supporters, who accounted for 95 per cent of the objections received by the council!

Horses are extremely sensitive to loud noises and unexpected sounds, and busy city streets have plenty of both. There have been countless incidents in which horses and people have suffered serious injuries or even died when horses became spooked and bolted. In recent months, several horses have collapsed and died in New York, which highlights the necessity of a ban on this cruel form of entertainment, wherever it takes place.

Thanks again to all of you who helped make this happen. Your actions really do make a difference!

Comments

1. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

Great news PETA! Horses aren’t ours to do what we want with them, they have a right to be free, so this is great news. Together we can save animals from being imprisoned and enslaved. All species should be afforded the same rights, for we all equal.

We are indebted to horses. For centuries we were completely reliant on them. Horses are majestic companion animals too !

3. avatar Anna says:

I think this is such a stupid campaign, this was ONE horse, closely supervised, providing a bit of light relief to tourists and residents using quiet back roads of Oxford. what is the matter with you people? I’ve been part of the local horse world through my daughter for years and I’ve seen it all – a horse having a broom broken over its back because it wouldn’t load, a small child throwing a saddle at a horse, a parent yelling ‘hit it’ at a child on a naughty pony, a beautiful ex-racehorse being beaten around jumps by a ham fisted numbskull of a teenage girl. There is SO MUCH cruelty in the horse world but doubltess you are all secret members of the BHS or Pony Club, or rather they are not as soft as the urbanites who are Oxford councillors and so they give you short shrift. No way would I support you idiots, you really need to get your heads straight.

4. avatar Peter says:

I have to agree with Anna. There are far bigger and more urgent issues to do with horse care than one horse-drawn carriage in an Oxford street. I’ve been to many cities where such carriages are pulled by horses that are well-fed, groomed and looked after. It’s true that some places they are not – but why shouldn’t we try and do it properly? Ban ALL horse-related activities and all horse ownership if you like, set the horses free if you want to. But if you can’t go that far (you won’t be surprised to know that I think that’s unrealistic ), why not work with people to put horses in situations where everyone can see them treated properly, and learn to respect them for the beautiful creatuires they are?

5. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

I have to disagree with the two previous comments, whenever an animal is being exploited and abused we should defend that animals rights whether it’s one animal or a thousand animals. The effort is still worth it, this is why I commend PETA because they will defend animals even if it may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things. No animal deserves to suffer!

6. avatar John Alexander Gibson says:

No animal should been enslaved for our own enjoyment, horses deserve to be free and live theirs free of pain and suffering. We have no right to force animals in to situations which for the animal is so alien to him/her. The animal cannot understand why he/she has to pull a carriage and this must cause the animal great stress and suffering. I will not support any act in which an animal is degraded and humiliated. The very foundation of human rights is that we are protected from oppression, the same should apply to all other animals, animals can’t arrange an uprising to throw off the shackles of tyranny that we constantly inflict upon animals. We are the only ones that can make sure no animal suffers. Just as slavery was eventually abolished so will our exploitation of all nonhuman animals, let’s not forget we ourselves are animals!

7. avatar Trudy says:

I don’t actually have a problem with animals working as long as they are treated well. We all have to work. The most important thing is concentrating on animal welfare for working animals rather than trying to ban them. How do people feel about guide dogs and police horses?

8. avatar Julia says:

Firstly, I commend peta in everything it does, it has saved so many animals lives! BUT, as a horse owner myself- my horse is my life so he is cared for better than most- I disagree that peta’s influence should be used on silly things like this, where the horse would have been cared for perfectly well, they should be investigating horse slaughter houses in Mexico, investigating horse meat importation etc. Most horses enjoy being ridden, I can tell you mine absolutely loves having a gallop over the hills on a fresh mornign and then going in the school and having a nice jump, I don’t think he would be the same without it! A horse IS a free spirit so it cannot be forced into anything- unless you use brute force which I’m totally against- are fine pulling carriages if fitted with the right equiptment. I personally think this campaign was a waste of precious time in saving animals all across the world.

9. avatar Emma Wilkin says:

What a load of rubbish!!
    I agree that there are horses who need someone to stand up for them or even rescue them and fully support peoples efforts in this area.
    However I most strongly disagree with PETAs view that every horse drawn carriage is cruel or unsafe.
    PETA continuously misrepresents the facts regarding fact surrounding the use of carriages in cities, I cite its ongoing lies regarding deaths and accidents in NYC. PETA seems to fuel the passion of its supporters by providing inaccurate facts and downright lies, the supporters then allow themselves to be led by the nose and do not think for themselves.
    The whole campaign is an absolute farce!