‘Meaty’ Sunday Roast
One of my favourite dishes to prepare is this easy-to-make vegan roast. I made one the other night, and it took me about 15 minutes to prepare before popping it into the oven for an hour and a half. To be honest, I’m not normally a big fan of nut roasts, so I was delighted to discover this much “meatier” version! It would also be ideal for Christmas dinner.
The key ingredient is gluten flour, which you can find in some Asian grocery shops or online at flourbin.com. The recipe also uses gram flour (chick pea flour, not to be confused with Graham flour), which is also available at Asian shops as well as in health-food shops or the Indian section of supermarkets. It’s well worth getting your hands on these ingredients and having a go at this recipe. I like to drench the roast in veggie gravy!
For the dry part:
275 g gluten flour
90 g gram flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander
For the liquid part:
50 ml soya sauce
50 ml olive oil
300 ml water
4 Tbsp strong sweet mustard
1 pressed garlic clove
For the garnish (optional):
- Mix the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients in two separate bowls.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients and knead with your hands. Add more gluten flour if necessary in order to form a dough.
- Once you have formed the mixture into a dough, roll it into a loaf and wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake at 150°C for 90 minutes.
- Garnish with whole cloves, if desired.
- Serve with roast potatoes, vegetables and gravy.
Makes 4 servings
For more vegan cooking ideas, check out PETA US’ website.