Zero Grazing: Hell for Cows - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Oct

Zero Grazing: Hell for Cows

© iStockPhoto.com / Chris_Westwood

As if the suffering found on UK factory farms were not bad enough, now we’re seeing a disturbing increase in the number of applications being submitted to build huge US-style industrial factory farms. Many of these farms use zero grazing (a wholly unnatural system whereby animals rarely, or never, go outside and are fed specially grown food instead of being allowed to graze naturally on grass). As on all factory farms, animals in zero-grazing units can expect to spend their short, hellish lives in cramped, dark and filthy conditions, deprived of everything that is natural and important to them and denied the right to socialise and raise their young.

Zero grazing exacerbates the problems of disease and suffering that are found on today’s factory farms. Cows who are abused in the dairy industry and who are forced to produce unnatural quantities of milk often suffer from lameness because of the excessive size of their udders. As Nocton Dairies Ltd prepares to resubmit an application to build a mega-dairy, 8,100 cows face the prospect of living miserable lives on a zero-grazing factory farm. PETA is ready to fight this monstrous zero-grazing unit, which would be the largest in Western Europe. For animals’ sake, it cannot go ahead. Keep an eye on our website for updates and action alerts.

Further applications for zero-grazing farms are currently being considered, including one for a 1,200-cow dairy farm in Wales and another for a 26,000-pig farm in Derbyshire. If these applications are approved, these animals will face lives of intense suffering. This type of farming exploits animals to the maximum extent in order to produce high yields and increase profits for farmers. No matter what farmers might claim, animal welfare is a long way down the list of considerations. To help us stop the spread of these nightmarish farms, please join our Action Team to keep up to date with events and ways to help. The UK must halt this disturbing trend in the intensification of farming. The best thing you can do to help animals is to switch to a vegan diet. Click here to order a free vegetarian/vegan starter kit and start making a difference today.

Comments

1. avatar Jasmine Chen says:

I cannot believe people want to hurt innocent animals for no reason at all! A warning to all who cause pain to animals: what goes around must come around!!!

2. avatar KT says:

I’m really trying hard to get my friends to go veg, I’ve succeeded with a few but I have plenty more to work on!

3. avatar Sophy says:

Have you tried showing them Glass Walls or Earthlings? :)

4. avatar s sureck says:

5. avatar Shannon says:

I personally am a vegetarian myself and im constantly having conversations with people on why i dont eat meat! The world would be a much better place if everybody was vegetarian, if only ay? Like KT said, ive also tried with my dad and friends to make them go vegetarian. My dad is semi-vegetarian and my friends have been unsuccessful, although im determind to spread the word and keep trying.

6. avatar Jasmine Chen says:

I am getting sick and tired of people being cruel to innocent animals. I work at a Cats Protection centre and most of the cats who get brought in are dumped in cardboard boxes or bin bags and I can never understand how these “people” who are cruel to animals can sleep at night. ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE CRUEL TO ANIMALS WILL BE CURSED!!! :(

7. avatar Carol Phillips says:

Absolutely heartbreaking. Words just fail me. Instead of things getting even slightly better they are just getting worse and more and more animals are being made suffer intolerable pain and cruelty.

8. avatar Carol Phillips says:

Absolutely heartbreaking. Words just fail me. Instead of things getting even slightly better they are just getting worse and more and more animals are being made to suffer intolerable pain and cruelty. I was vegetarian but then became vegan because of the way the dairy industry treats its animals. The more I looked into dairly the more I realised that the animals are treated far worse than animals who are used for their meat so I had to give up dairy and every time I think about diary cows and what they go through it breaks my heart. Go vegan!

9. avatar wendy renshaw says:

we must not let this happen. i have been a vegetarian for 27 years recently turned vegan should have done it years ago. we call ourselves a nation of animal lovers

10. avatar Dee says:

Why is it that they can do this to cows ?.I dont understand .Cows feel pain too.
    They cant speak for themselves.Why are people so evil?
    Also they are so defenceless.They never hurt anyone.Thank God for Peta.

11. I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am happy to convey that I have a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to don’t forget this website and give it a look on a constant basis.