Raoul Moat - Our Billboard Is Taken Down - Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog Animal Writes: PETA Foundation’s Blog
  • Sep

Raoul Moat – Our Billboard Is Taken Down

Raoul Moat shot his ex-girlfriend Samantha Stobbart and police officer David Rathband and shot and killed his ex-girlfriend’s new partner, Chris Brown. Later came the allegations that Moat had abused animals. According to news stories, he once battered a dog and left the dog for two days to die. Reportedly, as a child, he killed a friend’s cat by throwing the cat off a banister and then slamming the cat down and breaking the cat’s back.

Hearing this, PETA decided to place an advert in Newcastle, close to where Moat lived, exposing the link between cruelty to animals and violence to humans. The ad, featuring an image of a dog, read, “Raoul Moat: Animal Abuser & Murderer. Animal Abusers Rarely Stop There”, and encouraged the public to report cruelty to animals immediately. Because of a few complaints from Moat’s “fans”, the ad was taken down within hours.

Some people have asked why we place such billboards. Aren’t people mourning? Aren’t the billboards offensive? Well, ask people you know if they are aware that Stephen Barker (one of the people responsible for the death of Baby P) used to torture guinea pigs and frogs or that Ian Huntley (who killed two 10-year-old schoolgirls in 2002) once strangled his dog in front of his friends. Ask them if they’d heard that Thomas Hamilton (guilty of the death of 16 children and a teacher in the Dunblane massacre) spent his youth squashing rabbits’ heads beneath the wheels of his car. You may be surprised how many people don’t have a clue.

These billboards draw attention to a horrifying issue, and by so doing, they could prevent the next death from happening by alerting people to the fact that many of those who are blisteringly violent to their fellow humans have a history of cruelty to animals. It seems to me that it would be offensive to sit around and do nothing and allow another human or animal to suffer if there’s a chance we could stop the violence.

At PETA, we abhor any violence to living beings. That’s why we hope society will learn from cases like Raoul Moat and prevent history from repeating itself. Please report any cruelty you hear about – you could stop a future horror in its tracks.

Comments

1. avatar Leah Moulden says:

I have to say this isnt one of PETA’s best. It really is a bit too targetted and not really effective at saying anything in particular.

2. avatar Amanda says:

It’s weird how people fail to see the correlation between animal and human cruelty. There are so many shocking things on tv. The reason why the ad was removed was only because it was a PETA ad. Ugh! It’s also sad that people only understand the gravity of a situation when it affects humans – why can’t we be as understanding about animals as we are about humans?

3. avatar Ayesha says:

It should be put back up!!!! we don’t want murderers among us! May they receive eternal damnation in Hell. They deserve it.

4. avatar Liz Nolan says:

Its shameful this was taken donw, people need to be made aware of the link,which I am sure alot of people are aware of but choose to live in denial. Moat’s supporters what a stupid statement the man can have no support for what he has done. Report cruelty its a disgrace.

5. avatar Janet says:

I have always thought this of animal abusers…if you look into the past of most murders you’ll find severe animal cruelty!!!!

6. avatar Anel says:

They can remove the billboards, but they can’t keep us from telling it 2 the world. We have internet!!!!! Please people help our animals, they can’t speak for themselfs!!!!

7. avatar Sam says:

For a long time now I have said that anyone who can purposely harm animals won’t stop there… it’s only a matter of time before they turn their attention and sadistic behaviours and cruelty, to humans.

Good advert, I am in the UK and would welcome more PETA billboards.

8. avatar elaine dring says:

i agree with peta by put,n up these billboards, theres 2much animal cruelty, people need to open there eyes, 2be honest i,m for animal rights not people rights, as u never hear about people bing skined alive, or cooked alive, or experimented on etc

9. avatar Paul says:

…..Gandhi once said “Society can be judged by how we treat our animals . . .”, well society is showing what it is made of!!

10. avatar emma says:

i thank you for educating me, i didnt know any of the facts you just pointed out!! and i do believe that is the whole point of the billboard. the other thing id like to point out is that after raoul moat went on his killing spree, the sick public had a fan page put up on facebook!! do you know they were quicker telling you to down your billboard than they were telling facebook to get rid of the page!! the mind boggles doesnt it??!!! just keep doing what your doing peta.

11. avatar Tamara Heathcote says:

I’d have to agree with Leah Moulden’s response. It is a bit too targeted to one individual and doesn’t really get to the point. Maybe leave off the name and make more of a point about animal abuse and where does it stop?

12. avatar Cassie Allen says:

On what ‘grounds’ was the billboard removed? I don’t see that it was violating anyones rights or is causing slander. The link between animal abuse and potential abuse to children and other human’s is a documented fact.

13. avatar Marta says:

Torturing animals is the first sign of psychosis, many know that, I think that maybe the campaign should be less targeted to a single case. Old people is especially the category that dont understand the link because they were used to kill chicken with bare hands, to them comparison between human and animal don’t exist, and they will file complain.

14. avatar Renee Peel says:

I think PETA does a great work, but sometimes we have to slowly, slowly catch a monkey – So although we have to expose the cruelty – I believe that we have to improve on public education – yes bring it all out in the open, but perhaps if he was not named and the Billboard was placed it was would have been more effective. But my support you will always have …

15. avatar Ange T says:

I am surprised at the comment that this isn’t one of PETAs best. The link between animal cruelty and the abuse of children/adults is proven. I think the ad was a great way of exposing the nasty truth. Keep up the good work. It’s a shame society as a whole prefers to pretend stuff like this doesnt happen …

16. Our cruelty knows no bounds. We are the worst animals. The most intelligent, best prepared, the highest it has led the human race … But the most cruel to others … So we need Gods who “forgive our sins …”. Animals do not need it, because they aren’t evil. Habits can be cruel, but without malice.

17. avatar Konstantina Kanellopoulou says:

People become offended because they enjoy living in ignorance! We like to pretend that everything is nice and neat. We go to the super market and buy meat nicely packaged and ready to prepare not aware of the cruelty to these animals before they are slaughtered. We go the the pet store and see the cute puppies and kittens unaware of the puppy mills and the terrible conditions that go on in them. We buy medications unaware of the animals that imensely suffered so that we don’t when we take the drug. Most people are oblivious to the pain and suffering around them. They are the ones who are offended by posters like the one above because, simply, they can’t handle the truth. Perhaps, if they become aware, and have a conscience maybe they might have to do something about it. In the mean time, ignorance is bliss!!

18. avatar Mercedes says:

The correlation between animal and human cruelty is obvious! It’s a shame some people aren’t willing to accept this. Great Add!

19. avatar Schalk says:

excellent campaign … how could one be a ‘fan’ of Moat?

20. avatar Rene says:

As i said to my wife one day looking at our dogs. “animals are gods gift to the planet” innocents personified. they never do anything that doesnt agree with their nature.
    WE how ever as a race go out of our way to make others suffer. animals, kids and woman suffer the most. in that order. The actions of childers are mirrored images of society today.
    Animals big and small cant fight back and if some manages to retaliate then we put them down due to bad behavior. I can think of thousands and millions people that should be dragged out onto the street and SHOT but we dont condone that. ITS just not FAIR on THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS. *&^% OFF. the moment someone has made up their mind to do harm to something living then THEIR human rights get revoked. ANIMALS existed before man for those religious people. Respect is due i believe. they have more right to this planet than we do. Opposable thumbs dont give us superiority!

21. avatar Shanda says:

My feelings are the ad has a powerful message! If you can hurt/kill a defenceless animal then you are certainly capable of murder.

22. avatar Wendy Dodimead says:

Every time I see an horrendous act of animal cruelty punished by community service and a large fine, I wonder how long before that person or should I say moron will start mistreating humans and ultimately embark on unbearable acts on human kind. It is a know fact that those who are cruel to animals in their youth will at some time or another take the same approach either to a loved one or a completely innocent stranger. I have always seen the correlation and this is why I never understand that these obscene and vicious acts against animals do not warrant long jail time and a full psychiatric evaluation for the abusers. I am not sue therapy will assist in any form. Justice systems have to see the connection and insist on longer more effective corrective measures for these sickos…. Don’t let them loll around in jail, earning diplomas and having 3 meals a day, tv and library make them dig ditches, pick up rubbish, scrub toilets and be deprived of all luxuries….

23. avatar Heather says:

It is a shame that the poster was removed…………Thank you PETA for taking a stand!……Also thank you Konstantina Kanellopoulou for such a well written comments……You are so right.

24. avatar debbie says:

even if the scum doesnt go on the harm humans,what they do to harm animals does burn in our mind forever.some scum tortured my poodle to death using him for target practice when i ws 10.my 4 other siblings and i have never gotten over how a breathing thing could take the life out of anything at all..nevermind a harmless dog thet 5 young kids adored! may he burn in hell.i wont call the scum and animal because i am an animal lover and he wasnt good enough to be called that or human.

25. avatar Taryn says:

I disagree, I think it’s saying something very specific that has not been highlighted overtly in the media to date. The call to action – REPORT CRUELTY is what it is saying, Ms Moulden. Loud and clear.

26. avatar stacey says:

Even though, it may not be a huge campaign for PETA, morons like that NEED to be targeted…period.

27. avatar Suze says:

Good article, I totally agree. However it currently doesn’t matter how many people report animal abuse, there are only very light penalties for these criminals, or at least nothing that will prevent them from harming people in the future. I think it is obvious that someone who tortures animals for no apparent reason has something very wrong with them. This should be officially recognised and these people should have psychiatric assessment and appropriate treatment (or confinement) when convicted of such a crime. I personally believe that blood sports fall under the same category, however while many people are disgusted by blood sports, nobody is suggesting that people who partake in them are mentally challenged. How odd.

28. avatar Tisch Lorentzen says:

The truth hurts but eople have to stop choosing to be ignorant to these atrocities.

29. avatar Sarah Dunlop says:

I simply don’t see how people could be offended by this campaign. Using a man who killed people and animals to draw attention to the coorelation between human and animal abuse seems appropriate to me.

How many ‘fans’ can this serial killer possibly have? Enough to force the removal of this ad? That surprises me.

30. avatar Jenn G says:

I can see why some people would be offended, in particular, the victim’s families. And I agree with Leah in saying this isn’t one of PETA’s best. I think it’s too soon for the families who are still grieving.

31. avatar Trident Wall says:

Its a definite link, and i have seen it first hand….
    Brain dysfunction

32. I am originally from California, born and raised in Los Angeles. I relocated to south-central Idaho, Twin Falls area, in 2005, seeking refuge and peace in the country. What I found were small-town type mentalities but that is nothing compared to the lack of consideration for even government protected animals. I once was in the desert with some people I did not know well only to be confronted with the reality of why they brought firearms with them. At first consideration, I thought they were going to “shoot, hoot, and holler”. Upon taking a little ride further, a woman who is wife to my friend’s good friend jumped out of her Jeep, started running chasing a bunny and then everyone got in on it, including my driver was going to shoot the rabbit. Again, please be advised we were on BLM (government protected land) and the animals on it are NOT to be killed — we have plenty of hunting ground for those that choose to hunt — and it is a serious crime to kill animals of any kind of this protected land. The woman, who I will call “The Crazy Lady”, thought it great fun to act like an ass, everyone else was “hootin’ and hollerin'” and I was confronted with the reality that these people had NO regard for animals life and thus I felt they had little regard for human life.

It is in my professional experience and education that people who are violent toward animals and could kill them (and though I do not condone hunting, I do accept there are people who hunt for sport and further for food being a low-income area here) but people who exact violence upon animal life for amusement are most certainly high-risk, violent offenders and knowing the people I do, I am thus proven correct once again.

I take no offense at billboards calling anyone out that should be. I can say I do not like the previous PETA billboards depicting sensuality or nudity for the sake of attention — though I can see it thought of as effective — it does take away from the credibility of the work and it lowers the opinion and seriousness of the same.

I applaud PETA for taking action in whatever way necessary when facts are facts. I will again offer that in my professional experience and education people who are violent toward animals usually have a violent past, a troubled history, and need help. We should be merciful toward them and try to teach them something they may possibly understand. The moment they reject it and can’t see the reason violence in any form is not to be tolerated and must be corrected, is when we walk away and let nature take its course.

Violence propagates violence, whether to animal or man. But these same fools I mentioned killed a rattler in the desert though they could have easily walked away. And though it is a highly prosecutable offence in these parts, some chose to walk to their vehicles, grab their weapons, and shoot the damned thing for no reason other than it was “dangerous”.

I wonder who is dangerous: the rattler in the rock or the man with the gun?

I can be found on Facebook, Rita Evelyn Yanez, and on Facebook under my business name, Synergy Alternative Solutions.

33. avatar Cheryl says:

Yes PETA–keep up the good work EXPOSING THE TRUTH.. SEE SOME PEOPLE WHO CANNOT HANDLE THAT ARE THE ONES AGAINST YOU.. but deep down inside –people who know this.. see the link and the ones who can so violently kill animals are murderer’s right from the START.. THEY KILL ANIMALS AND PEOPLE –SAME THING.. KILLING IS KILLING.. people who say it’s not just don’t get it.. until it happens to someone they care about.. then they say.. well, u know I remember he killed that dog, or that cat. and yeah. he did start having these weird ways… these are signs of worse things to come.. ANYONE WHO SEES SOMEONE.. ANYONE WHO CAN KILL AN ANIMAL WILL MOST LIKELY TAKE A HUMAN LIFE.. KILLING IS KILLING.. RIP TO THE FAMILIES AFFECTED BY THIS.. THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO THEM!!

34. avatar Ann says:

I completely 100% agree with this ad. People are so ignorant about the link between cruelty to animals and violence towards people. I realize that many lawmakers and people in power don’t care about animal rights issues (even though they should), but they should be smart enough realize why they should push to severely increase punishments for cruelty to animals. If Raoul Moat had been in prison for the acts of wanton cruelty he committed against those animals, all those people would still be alive!!! That’s the sad part that most people are too stupid to realize.

35. avatar Frank says:

I admire what PETA does. The only to get these peoples attention is to shock them. Nobody seems to care enough. Keep shoving it in the publics face PETA! And keep up the good work!

36. avatar carol clay says:

I think the biilboard is great. People need to stop living in their boxes with no windows, open up their eyes and be aware of their surroundings.,

37. avatar Lori Lu says:

I don’t understand the offense by this ad either. The most despicable ppl on this earth are those who harm the weak. Defenseless animals, children, weaker ppl than themselves…these cowards absolutely deserve all the negative attention that they bring upon themselves. They need to start turning their sick, demented thoughts upon themselves and do society a Favor! Harming animals, torturing them-really? A person, and I use that word loosely for these wastes, can do Nothing More Cruel. Tragically, these innocent, naturally loving beings cross the paths of these sick-minded humans.
    Sadly, this scum will never face the kind of suffering and actual justice that they ask for and deserve!!!…in Too Many Cases.

And this billboard is a problem, Really? His violence, heinous acts are the problem. These ‘fans’ must face facts and redirect the focus on where it should be—the rights of Victims. They deserve our concern, our attention. Too many are forgotten. Peta works to keep them from being forgotten and gives a voice to the weak. I’m grateful for all they do. The org. is relentlessly devoted to their cause.

38. avatar niru says:

The campaign must continue..people who are “fans” of Moat must be seriously sick themselves. And talking about animal rights is not necessarily about winning popularity and consensus.. you’re on the right track Peta, don’t stop

39. avatar Paul says:

It’s always hard to inform people of the truth as most are in denial. As we are aware the is a correlation between animal abuse and tourture and hurting humans. Yet people in this world really do want to live in there own bubble, we like reality tv but not reality go figure.

40. avatar Melissa says:

Great work PETA we must expose evil .. ignorance is not ok in these matters. The sign needs to go back up.

41. avatar Kathy says:

Personally, I think this ad was right to be taken down. Some people will view this as PETA trying to worm their message into a horrific killing spree rather than PETA spreading the very valid message that animal cruelty is pure wrong. I think this advert was a very big risk to run, and certainly it wasn’t one that helped its reputation, so therefore, its causes. I fully support everything PETA stands for, but this advert shouldn’t have happened. Let the families and their community mourn. There are far more effective ways to broadcast this message.

42. avatar Paola says:

This billboard is insensitive to the families mourning over these devastating murders. However, I have always said, & will continue to say that any person that can knowingly & willingly cause injury or death to an animal is capable of inflicting the same or worse harm on a fellow human. There is a short wire in the brain of people who intentionally inflict pain on others and they often start with something small & unable to properly defend itself – often times a pet or neighborhood animal, thus opening the door to bigger and more daring attacks. Things like this need to be exposed & the general public needs to wake up & understand that even if you’re not an animal lover you should still cause them no harm and protect them from those that do. We are “supposed” to be the superior beings on this planet and yet many of us have far less compassion and soul than the poor creatures being abused. Do what you do PETA, you will always have a place in my heart. Peace be with us all.

43. avatar Julesj0 says:

I am with Leah, Tamara, Jenn and others. This campaign is not one of Petas’ best and is unfair on the grieving families. To put it into a colloquialism – it is rather rubbing their noses in it.
    Please have a bit of a rethink Peta, the public perception of animal campaigners is at a tipping point currently and as the as the Tory propaganda machine gears up to support Cameron in his bid to repeal the Hunting with Dogs Act any instance where animals campaigners could be accused of insensitivity to victims, or caring for animals more than people will be seized upon and magnified a thousandfold.

44. avatar KT says:

We need to make more people aware of this link between animal abuse and human abuse so that people start to take animal abuse seriously.

45. avatar naomi says:

I dont see what the problem was, get over it hes dead, he killed all those inocent people and animals, the public need to become more aware of animal abuse, wheres the harm in that?
    And these “fans” of moat, if there sick enough to think what he did was right, who knows what there doing to helpless animals.

46. avatar kathleen says:

it looks to me like this is more of a political scenario where this is a more isolated debunk, protecting this particular person, than a personal slam to peta, or the animal protection acts.
    i think a quick facts on it; eg.

(#) % of animal abuses have led to serial killings of humans.
    ” domestic killings.
    ” domestic abuse

!!!!!!!!!! TO HUMANS !!!!!!!!

47. avatar Iain says:

It’s been known for many years that animal abuse is a warning sign for psychotic or violent behaviour, although judging by some of the comments here, it’s not widely known. So whilst it’s right for PETA to draw attention to the issue, this campaign was absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

Quite apart from the fact that the message was deliberately placed where Raoul Moat’s family members, and those of his victims, live (with the glaringly obvious risk of causing offence), and also that many people would simply see the ad as PETA cashing in on his notoriety, we need to remember that the ad was based on probably unsubstantiated news reports and allegations.

The cynical response to the ad would simply be that PETA is exploiting a public hate figure in the knowledge that firstly the Raoul Moat cannot answer the allegations against him (and has few supporters anyway) and secondly that controversial ads get more publicity.

48. avatar georgina says:

i think this is good poster as its straight to the point and giving a recent example so well done peta its ashame the selfish people who took it down were allowed to because i guarante if it was about child abuse a few complaints wouldnt of effected it !

keep stiring things up peta coz thats the only way things change in this world ,good luck !

49. avatar Jasmine Chen says:

Please keep the billboards up and draw more attention to this horrifying subject. I hope Raoul Moat and people similar to him get all the punishments they deserve. Animals have feelings and they feel pain!

50. avatar Katie Lister says:

Whilst I agree the link between animal cruelty and violence is a point that needs to be made I feel that the timing was very off in this instance and PETA’s message has suffered as a result. Sadly the advertisment appeared to be cashing in on a very recent tragedy in order to make a different case altogether. The ad would have been just as powerful had the image used the name of any serial killer who is now dead themselves: Bundy or Dalmer for example. As it stands the advert seems to overlook the pain of those involved to make its case. Moat was known to be a very violent man long before he began his killing spree. I doubt his action would have been averted had the authorities ben aware that he also cruelly tortured animals.