The Doctor (Not the Prime Minister) Really Does Know Best
  • Aug

The Doctor (Not the Prime Minister) Really Does Know Best

© iStockPhoto.com / Cimmerian

Following up on the government’s decision to back off a proposal to axe free cow’s milk for schoolchildren (a decision based on Prime Minister David Cameron’s fear of negative publicity rather than concern for public health), I wanted to draw your attention to an excellent article in the London Evening Standard by Dr Christian Jessen, who is best known for shows such as Channel 4′s Embarrassing Bodies.

The doctor tells it like it is. “Cows’ milk is just that: for cows”, he writes. “Man is the only animal that drinks milk into adulthood. Cows’ milk is higher in sugar than humans need, and although high in calcium, only 30 per cent of it is available for use by the body, compared to 60-70 per cent for fruits, grains, nuts, roots, seeds and vegetables.” He goes on to point out that countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis also have the highest milk and dairy consumption, and he discusses the link between milk protein and diabetes. You can read the full article here.

Not only is the consumption of dairy products linked to everything from allergies and obesity to prostate and ovarian cancer, it also leads to the suffering of cows on dairy farms. Even though cows have a life expectancy of 21 years or more, most cows on dairy farms are killed when they’re between 4 and 7 years old, and they’re often pregnant when they die. Cows on dairy farms are repeatedly impregnated, and their calves are taken away from them within a day or two of birth. Female calves are condemned to the same pitiful life as their mothers, and the male calves are either shot at birth or sold to the veal industry. Considering the current battle over “super dairies” in the UK, there has never been a better time to reject this unnecessary cruelty and check out the amazing dairy-free (and cruelty-free) alternatives that are widely available in supermarkets and health food stores.

Thinking about going vegan – or know someone who is? Watch our “Glass Walls” video narrated by Sir Paul McCartney, and order a free vegetarian/vegan starter kit today!

Comments

1. avatar Mnel says:

I remember the same was said about eggs, red wine, olive oil, chocolate etc etc. and now the view for many of these products is changed. Often the issue is with the quantities, not the product.

I may reduce my consumption of milk (or other product) because of animal welfare concerns, not because a doctor decides to make the news with a dubious and dramatic study.

2. avatar lasya says:

hi….this is indeed a very good article…..i am from India and have decided to stop drinking milk……this article has convinced me that my decision is right……hope many people will join suite and the cows will be spared from further agony and suffering…..cheers

3. avatar Tony says:

There’s nothing dubious about this study. It’s common sense. Even as I child I couldn’t understand why adults drink milk… from another species no less! :o) It’s amazing what condition does to us.

Look, forget studies, all of them. Use your common sense and logic. What is milk? It’s a ‘food’ for mothers to give to their young. I emphasis ‘their’ young. Once they are able to eat solid food they slowly come off it. And the mother eventually stops producing it. Look at the animal world, the world unaffected by advertising and conditioning. What other animal drinks milk into adulthood? Let alone milk from another species? And if it was ‘natural’ why do we all cringe at the thought of drinkinghuman breast milk over our cereal?

We have been caught out by the false logic fed to us by the advertising. Don’t believe me? Try this… if you ask 10 people what milk is good for and the majority will say ‘calcium – healthy teeth and bones’. The thinking being that teeth and bones are white, milk is white, so that is ouronly source of calcium. Ask them what other foods contain calcim and hardly anybody knows.

The dairy industry is a powerful body. Never forget that. And ignore them as you should ignore everybody. Think for yourself. There’s logic in drinking milk into adulthood, especially that that nature designed for another animal!

4. avatar Jared says:

Would you let a cow suck on your breast for milk if you’re a woman?

How about a dog, a cat, any mammal that produces milk?

So how come it’s okay to suck on a cows teat and drink the liquid that is meant for her son/daughter? (just because they’re milked by machines behind closed doors doesn’t make that sentence false, you’re still drinking from an udder)

Let’s also not forget the plight of the offspring of dairy cows – female offspring = sold into a life of dairy slavery, male offspring, killed or turned into veal – how nice, just remember that next time you’re drinking a glass of this absolutely disgusting (for a human or anything other than a baby cow) vile product

Blood is on your hands every time you drink it

5. avatar Tricia says:

@Tony, I’ve never heard it put so well!! I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to quote you on facebook to share this.

6. avatar cesar bell says:

haha who said it was okay to suck on a cows teat? ahaha!!! milk goes great with everything, chocolate, cereal, pancakes, even ribs. You just have to balance your intake, there are lots of different properties that milk has that are also beneficial that are not metioned. but use you common sense and dont pay attention to facts!! milk tastes good so drink it!

7. avatar KT says:

Is Dr. Jessen vegan?

It’d be great if all schoolchildren got free soyamilk instead!

8. avatar Karen says:

Tony that is the best statement I’ve ever read well said!

9. avatar emily says:

you just said milk goes good with everything, not alone. therefor it can be replaced with diff. substances that act the same way and are much healthier for your body. anyone who drinks milk as an adult from another species is SICK. theres something wrong with you. it didnt mention the morphine in the milk. maybe thats why you find it so hard to give up. anyone on opiates is a twack to me. ha

10. avatar Jan says:

To Tony – may I quote you on Facebook? I am presuming a yes.

11. avatar bunny says:

even if milk DOES have good health benefits (it reeally doesnt. it doesnt have a single one) weighed up against the negatives it would be wise to stay as far away as you can from that poison. it has NO good nutrition, no fibre. just saturated faty and calories.

be as difiant as you want in the programming you’ve endured of it being good for you, but i’ll just be happy to know you’re damaging yourselves while im making myself healthier with soyamilk :) enjoy your diabetes milk suckers!

• avatar Lisa says:

I love every bit of your post except the part about soy milk. Go googling soy milk now and find out a few things that were a shock to me..soy milk has natural plant estrogens that can play havoc with your hormones and other info can be found googling it.

12. avatar Isabel says:

COMEMOS DOLOR VIOLENCIA Y SUFRIMIENTO DE LOS ANIMAÑLES… LA NATURALEZA TIENEN MEMORIA… EN ESTE IDA Y VUELTA DE LA VIDA DIARIA TENGAMOS COMPASION DE ESOS OJOS TRITES ANTE EL DOLOR BUSCANCO CONCIENCIA ETIC A HUMANITARIA ERRADICANDO TODA VIOLENCIA Y MALTRATO!!!
    EAT PAIN, VIOLENCE AND SUFFERING OF ANIMALS… NATURE ES THEMEMORY EN THIS ROUND TRIP OF DAILY LIVING, I PITY SAD EYES OF THOSE SEEKING TO PIN AWARENESS ERRADICATE ALL HUMANITARIAN ETHICS VIOLENCE AND ABUSE

13. avatar Dean says:

I found after drinking soy milk for a while,cow milk became greasy and unpleasant to taste and now just have soy.
    It is important however to get calcium and vitamin fortifed soy milks and make sure you keep your vitamin b12 intake up.
    I have to say though,I feel this whole debate around what’s natural is a bit irrelevant.I mean surely no food stuff on this planet was ‘designed’ (at least as evolution goes) as a food for human beings.We adapted to what was here and found ways of changing and harnessing the benefits of what was around us.In that sense I think we at this point in time are able to take a more compassionate and forward thinking view of how we treat other inhabitants of the planet and make changes in that way.

14. avatar Angela Gould says:

Milk makes me swell up and feel uncomfortable. I have known this for many years. I drink very skimmed milk now and also soya milk. My soya milk intake is increasing slowly. I am concerned about babies being fed cows’ milk. I can see how this leads to problems later. I wish I was fed on human milk as a baby but alas I was not.
    I think I will be OK but who knows?

Poor cows……………..and calves. When is it all going to end? They are vegetarian anilmals. They can be easily trapped and slaughtered without complaint….and then we chop them up into small pieces (called silly French names – to divorce them from the reality ) and then we heat them and eat them. Why? ‘Meat’ – as it is called, is no good for us at all. It has no fibre and rots therefore inside our guts. So it causes diabetes, bowel cancer, osteoporosis and other cancers. It just isn’t worth it. Stop eating it!

15. avatar Jasmine Chen says:

soya milk is cool and ricemilk too!

16. avatar Robyn says:

You can not deny that milk is a good sourse of calcium and indeed i think, is needed in the human diet to provide a healthy body. Although i agree it is bad to comsume it in grear quantities and has been proven to cause problems to the body, but if everything was comusmed in moderation we wouldn’t be having this problem?
    However, the state of the dairy industry is almost as disgusting as the meat one. How anyone can treat another living creature with such little care is almost too much for me to take in.
    I therefor, only drink organic milk. The conditions which the cows are living and breathing is monitared by the RSPCA standard and the hefers have a good quantity of life.
    I sit on the fence in this debate.
    Bur of course, I am very much a vegetarian!

17. avatar WA says:

I think all this influences from Africa brutal culture that tend to make use of animals as food sources or as property or as companion is unnatural, immoral and unhealthy.
    Humans have been conditioned to accept it as normal and it would take lots of rethinking and reeducation to get it right again.
    Humans do not need animals as food or as pet or as companion or as guard or as decoration or as status symbol or in any stuff . Animals need to live in their own animal sanctuary or in their natural habitat and survive with the preservation of natural resources that should be made freely available to them.
    It is unnatural for humans to live with animals for whatever reason.
    It is sad to see humans being brainwashed by those dairy and meat industry that are only interested in profit.
    Animals do not need humans to shelter them. Animals like human need their own space and their own freedom too.