Just one day before St George’s Day, two patriotic PETA activists bodypainted to look like sexy Yeomen Warders – aka “Beefeaters” – stood proud outside the Tower of London and urged the city to put down the beef. Promoting meat-free meals, the vegans encouraged the public to ditch meat for their health, for the environment, for animals and for England!
“As St George showed us, humans will go to extremes to save their own lives, but our nation’s addiction to the fatty flesh in bangers and pork pies is hurting – not helping – England”, says PETA member Loretta Hope. “We are here to let our fellow citizens know that vegans are, on average, 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters are – and since they’re not contributing to animal suffering, their consciences are lighter, too!”
Meat, eggs and dairy products – all of which contain cholesterol and saturated fat – are the main culprits in the obesity epidemic, which contributes to England’s top killers: heart attacks, strokes, diabetes and cancer. By going vegan, not only will you dramatically improve your health, you will also save many animals from immense suffering and terrifying deaths.
Why not try out this delicious, healthy vegan St George’s Day recipe?
Hearty ‘Beef’ Casserole
100 g whole-wheat bread crumbs
6 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 onions, chopped
1 Tbsp dried thyme
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried rosemary
150 ml red wine
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 stalks celery, sliced
2 potatoes, cubed
2 tomatoes, diced
200 g veggie mince
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 420-g tin kidney beans, drained
1 420-g tin haricot beans, drained
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with 3 tablespoonfuls of the olive oil.
- In a large pot, sauté the garlic, onions, thyme, bay leaves, marjoram and rosemary in the remaining olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and tomatoes and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the veggie mince, molasses, mustard, beans, salt and pepper. Heat through.
- Transfer to an oiled casserole dish. Top with the bread crumb mixture, then cover and bake for about 45 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
For more great vegan recipes, download our free vegan starter kit now!