The UK is a nation of pizza lovers. In every corner of the country, down almost every high street (and now accessible even on your smartphone), you will find pizza restaurants, takeaways and home-delivery services. Vegans love their pizza, too, and thanks to the rapidly growing vegan movement, restaurants and takeaways are waking up and realising that offering vegan options creates new opportunities, reduces animal suffering and helps save the planet. The following are places where you can get your hands on a delicious eco-friendly (vegan) cheesy pizza feast, delivered right to your door:
- Edinburgh – La Favorita: The restaurant that jumped on the vegan train most recently is Edinburgh’s La Favorita, which is the first establishment in the city to offer a vegan cheese pizza. It didn’t take much persuading to convince the restaurant that dairy-free is a great option all round for vegan, lactose-intolerant and health-conscious customers.
- West Midlands – Mr Singh’s: Mr Singh’s has always had a 100 per cent vegetarian menu, and its extensive offerings include mouth-watering pizzas made with mock meats, fresh veggies and vegan cheddar cheese. Vegan options are clearly marked with a “V” symbol.
- Bristol – PepeNerorganic: PepeNerorganic uses completely organic ingredients, from its pizza bases to the fresh vegetable toppings. The pizzas in the vegan section of its menu are all finished off with vegan mozzarella and prepared entirely separately from other menu items.
- London – Village Pizza: The vegan section of the menu at Village Pizza is definitely exciting, and the restaurant won a PAPA Industry Award in 2013 for best delivery store. We love the look of its vegan Hickory Chicken Pizza.
- London – Basilico: Basilico was the first pizzeria to deliver wood-fired pizza right to your door. Nowadays, it offers both of its vegetarian pizzas with the option of vegan cheese. If you’re looking for something a bit more special than your average margherita, look no further!
- Hove – Pizzaface: On Mondays and Tuesdays, Pizzaface offers a quirky vegan menu featuring pizzas named after vegan celebrities. Highlights include The Moby with vegan chorizo and vegan smoked sausage and the Thom Yorke, topped with spinach and smoked tofu. Yum!
We’re really excited that vegan pizza is popping up in more and more towns and cities around the country. Even if you don’t live near one of the restaurants listed here, you can order from national chains such as Papa John’s (its original crust and sauce are vegan-friendly) and just hold the cheese. You can top it yourself when it arrives with vegan mozzarella, balsamic glaze, pesto or whatever other alternative you desire. Delicious pizza doesn’t have to require the daily suffering of cows and their calves in the dairy industry. You can vote against cruelty every time you order a takeaway!
Do you know of other places that serve delicious vegan pizzas? If so, let us know in the comments, and we’ll add them to the list!